Bream on the Flyrod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bream on the Flyrod

Two or three weeks ago I heard from Big T that the crappie in our neighborhood lakes were spawning, and after reading River Fisherman's posting titled "Fly rod fishing for Bream" I got to thinking I should give the lakes in my neighborhood a try, although probably too late for the spawn. So after a bad morning at the dam this morning I thought maybe I could catch some bream and make my day feel a little better. I gave the lakes a try this afternoon, and glad I did, as I caught a bunch, took some of the sting off from a bad morning at the dam. Tried a variety of flies, and they all produced, but the best fly of the day was a dry fly red ant , size 14 I believe. Also, just recently I purchased a 3wt rod, which I fished with today, and catching bream on it was a blast. The bream I caught were not the biggest, although some were hand size, but they fought hard, and I suppose the kid came out in me, because I really enjoyed it. Here are pics of three of the fish I caught.

"Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Hillis, bream will spawn several more times this year, approximately every full moon during warm weather. I love fishing for them and the occasional nice bass, catfish or grass carp are just bonuses that happen along the way. Last large fish I caught was a channel cat that it took 15 minutes to convince to come to my float tube.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

I went again this morning

I didn't do much good the first hour, then it got good, I ended up with 6-7
      and a 12" bass that was a fight on 3 wt. flyrod. I was total 6-8 carb on the banks but wouldn't bite anything. I have 10 in frezzer so tried to give away
      one guy said they had a bucket full of small cats, said bream are hard to clean
      don't know about that but sure eats great.
      GIVE IT A TRY WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME
      AL

Comment

Originally posted by RIVER FISHERMAN View Post
        I didn't do much good the first hour, then it got good, I ended up with 6-7
        and a 12" bass that was a fight on 3 wt. flyrod. I was total 6-8 carb on the banks but wouldn't bite anything. I have 10 in frezzer so tried to give away
        one guy said they had a bucket full of small cats, said bream are hard to clean
        don't know about that but sure eats great.

GIVE IT A TRY WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME
        AL
        ...head, gut, and scale and fry whole...!

...delicious...!

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Brings back fond memories of a fish fry in south Georgia. Haven't been to a fish fry in an eternity. Love deep fried bream, catfish, and hushpuppies!!! Uncle Jessie, thanks for the info on bream spawning.
          "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Working...
          X