True Grand Slam (A Swampy Post)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Grand Slam (A Swampy Post)

It's been a long tahm since I made a good "Swampy" post. So long, in fact, that I would be prone to b'lieve that many of our newer members ain't been subjected to the abuse of their neurons whilst tryin' to make enny sense of what's written on the page in front of 'em. 'Tain't hard to unnerstand it if you'll only jes' relax yer brain a bit an' let it roll with the flow. So, here goes -

I got tired of sittin' 'round the house yesterday, so I looked at Meaux and said, "Meaux, I need to go a-fishin'."
    "Well, you can't," she said. "The river's jes' too durned high."

I tol' her that I wasn't a-gon' to the river, but rather up to Lac du Lanier near her parent's place in Gainesville. She obliged me, and so I went.

I commenced to fishin' at first with an 8wt an' one of those e-Flyz doo-hickies that fishmonger makes. I got a few follers but no hits at first. Eventually mah arm began to tire out an' I switched to the ol' spinnin' rig.

First cast with the spinnin' rod I got me one of those durned four inch bluegills. The crankbait was full two thirds as big as that overconfident little finned rascal! If bream ever growed bigger'n five pounds theyd be more dangerous than bull sharks!

Well, that was the first'n. (Didn't git enny pitcher of him on account of I cain't stand those little [offspring of unwed parents].)

I went to trollin' 'round the edges after awhile an' missed a few. While I was concentratin' on what I needed to do to adjust mah technique the dad-blamed phone rang. 'Twas Gatorbyte, so I couldn't hardly ignore it, so I answered it. Then, not even a minute into the call I hooked into a decent bass. Had to reel it in with mah shoulder jacked all the way up to mah ear to hold the phone and talk to GB while a-reelin' that fish in. I won't complain though, since if'n he hadn't called me and made me change up the trollin' speed I wouldn't never've caught that'n. I wanted to take a pitcher of it with the phone, but GB was still jes' a-talkin' fer all he was worth, so I put the fish in the live well to git a pitcher later.

After GB an' I hung up, I went back to a-trollin' all 'round the edges in about 18 foot of water. Nothin. . . . . . Nothin'. . . . . . Nothin. . . . . RIIIIIIING!. . . .RIIIING!. . . 'Twas mah momma callin' this time to tell me all about mah brother's sermon this past Sunday, an' how VBS was a-goin' at church this week, an' how she an' Blondelle went out fer hotdogs on account of the Blue Plate specials ain't available 'til Thursday. About twenny seconds into the call I felt a 'nuther tug on the line from where I had jes' passed a dock. Sho 'nuff, 'twas a little ol' sac-au-lait (I think y'all Georgians call 'em "crappie"). A nice'n at that. I didn't measure him, but guess-timated that he was prolly around a foot long, which means he was prolly more lahk nine or ten inches in truth.

Things settled down a bit more after Mom an' I completed our chat. A whole ot of nothin' else bitin' for a good while, an' the sun was only 'round an' about an hour from settin'.

I figured my arm was good for returnin' to a few more cast with that 8wt afore I hung it up fer the day, so I slung that e-Flyz back near the bank where a little crick flowed into the lake. I counted it down real patient lahk, an' then commence a-strippin' that e-Flyz back to me reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalll slow. an' about the third strip - WHAM!

I thunk I had done got me a striper. (That's striper with ONE "p", not stripper with two "p's" lahk the kind that takes dollar bill tips an' all. Not that I would no ennythin' 'bout that since Meaux occasionally reads these threads.)

Ennyway, 'tweren't enny striper, but it was a nice channel cat'. An' it made fer tha lastest fish of the day.

I always hear about these grand slams with a 'bow, a brown, an' a brookie, but let's face it, that's only a three run homer. A grand slam produces four runs on the scoreboard, an' that's 'zackly what I got. FOUR differ'nt species in a couple hours of fishin'.

I'm rather happy with yesterday's results an' I reckon it's 'bout time fer me to put the trollin' motor batt'ry in the boat after chargin' it last night, an' then head back up to Gainesville.

Y'all enjoy yourse'fs as you can while the water's high. I'd highly reck-uh-mend hittin' one of the lakes or neighborhood ponds while the rivers are a-runnin' high. That fly rod'll still catch bream, bass, catfishes. . . Jes' git out on the water afore you go crazy!

One final note - a request ackshully. When y'all hear that I'm gonna be out on Lac du Lanier, please feel free to call me while I'm on the water. It may interrupt mah concentration, but it seems that the onliest times I can catch fish up there is about thirty seconds after the phone rings.
    Last edited by Swamp Angel; 06-06-18, 10:48 AM.
    If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Awesome post SA, I haven't caught a spotted bass before but I heard they give you a run for your money in terms of the fight, also, a Catfish on a fly rod... I've seen it all now!!

Comment

Nice work! Sounds like a good day on the water (I consider any day on the water "a good day"). That would be considered a slam in my book! It's funny how the fish tend to bite when you least expect it!

Comment

Great post!
        and I find myself reading your posts outloud... hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
          Great post!
          and I find myself reading your posts outloud... hilarious!
          Same here splatek..I have to read the Supreme Leaders posts out-loud (several times) and I'm still not always sure I totally understand..Fun reads either way..Thanks for sharing SA!
          Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

That right there is a three course meal of tasty fish! If you're going to have to fish outside of the reever, at least make it an interesting day.

DD F
            Fly Fisherman - Part Entomologist, Part Meteorologist, Part Ichthyologist, Part Hydrologist, All Liar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sighter View Post
              Awesome post SA, I haven't caught a spotted bass before but I heard they give you a run for your money in terms of the fight, also, a Catfish on a fly rod... I've seen it all now!!
              You oughtta try it sometimes. I have a coworker with a pond full of whiskered fishies. He feeds them regularly,and I can drop a fly in amongst them while they are feeding. I try to pick my target, then its GAME ON! I caught one that would go 12-15#. Good time on a 8wt.

Here ya go Sighter!

Last edited by fishnpreacher; 06-06-18, 08:06 PM. Reason: added pic
              BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
              Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Downright Mark Twainish.
                sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
                "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
                  You oughtta try it sometimes. I have a coworker with a pond full of whiskered fishies. He feeds them regularly,and I can drop a fly in amongst them while they are feeding. I try to pick my target, then its GAME ON! I caught one that would go 12-15#. Good time on a 8wt.

Here ya go Sighter!

I had a friend that had the same set up in his pond. I would take my 6 wt with a yellow wooly worm caterpillar fly and drop it in the fish while they were feeding. biggest I ever caught was a 8lb channel cat. What a fight that was.
                  Last edited by TitanTim2004; 06-07-18, 10:35 AM.
                  Never to cold to be on the water!

Comment

The blue pictured there was 15ish. The fish was lean and not filled out well, but he could pull!
                    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Working...
                    X