Ocmulgee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocmulgee

Wanting to explore some new water with my float boat for Shoal Bass. I have heard the float below Loyd Jackson Dam down to Popper take out is a good bet. The info for dam release at the Loyd Shoals Dam seems to be shared only with Jackson Lake home owners via e-mail. As best I understand they will generate according to power need and lake levels. The Lake is currently at full pool which the homeowners prefer and apparently GP does not want to tick off with low lake levels especially in summer.
    Can anyone share what is the best way to understand Water flows on this part of the Ocmulgee other than USGS data?
    Also can it be floated in high water? Someone told me it fishes better during generation.
    Thanks in advance for any shared advise.

Try to touch base with SlickWillie - he can probably give you some great insight/guidance..
    Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Riverpirate can answer all your questions. He is the shoal bass guru on the Ocmulgee
      There's trout in here that aint never been caught!

Comment

Originally posted by jonmo View Post
        Try to touch base with SlickWillie - he can probably give you some great insight/guidance..
        Might mean FishWillie?
        If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Thanks all for sharing.
          tight lines

Comment

Originally posted by THE EG View Post
            Might mean FishWillie?
            LOL..Thanks EG.. I did mean FishWillie. Been watching too much of our former president on TV I guess..

Didn't mean to insult you Will..
            Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

still running high and muddy down my way. I concede to Ole randy vinning aka riverpirate . Shoaliepalooza is fixin to come around again...FRI 03 AUG 2018 thru SUN 05 AUG 2018...woohoo

Comment

You can only get information for the Gs site there is no other way. They release when Birmingham says they need power. You can “normally” see a trend on releases. A typical summer trend is to release. This trend normally is release at late afternoon/night. Shut off at midnight and no release till “normally” 4:00 the next day. But this year they can’t keep up with the rain. The good thing is unless the rain is real high they have better control with the new boards and don’t get much above 5.5 at the hwy 16 gage. That means it does not get real dangerous. The down side is rarely does it get back down to 4 which is where I really like to fish. Over 5 and I just don’t have much luck and it is harder to control a boat and wade. The best we see these day is between 4.5 and 5. With these continued rains the release schedule just does not show much of a pattern. Unlike the flint which is not controlled, it takes weeks for a hard rain to get through the OC as they release a little at the time.
                I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton

Comment

River Pirate, thanks for the info. That is what I was needing. Pretty much the same problem this year on any N. Georgia tailrace.

Comment

Planning on hitting the section between Popper and Wise creek tomorrow early morning from my kayak for shoalies. The water level seems good. seem like a good plan or should we do the dam to popper?
                    _yero on instagram

Comment

Working...
                    X