Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RScott's Pattern #2 - Pheasant Tail

Recipe

Hook: Dohiku J 16 shown (12 & 14 effective)
    Bead: Slotted Tungsten, silver 2.5mm (copper is easily as good)
    Thread: Dark Brown 8/0 Uni
    Ribbing: Gold 28g craft wire (Hobby Lobby)
    Tail: Pheasant tail (Buy from a fly shop, craft store PT's aren't good)
    Abdomen Body: Pheasant tail
    Thorax / collar: Peacock Herl

So for my second pattern I chose one of my favorite all around nymphs that will work everywhere trout live - the pheasant tail. Right off the bat many will ask why I didn't use a copper bead and my answer is simple - I picked up a silver bead instead. You need both and I don't know why one works better than the other on any given day, but one will.

The materials...

PTail 1 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

A familiar looking picture to start..

PTail 3 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Another one where you can see the attachment of the wire ribbing....

PTail 4 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

And the one I forgot to take on the TT pattern - creating a slender tapered body with thread......

PTail 5 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

The tail of the PT is the tips of the fibers that you will wrap up the shank for the body. It will take some time to figure out how many fibers you need for any given size hook, but my general rule is 16 & 18 = 4, 12 & 14 = 6. Once you get practice in the technique of wrapping, it will become second nature as you make nice, even wraps with just a small wasted piece.

Size the tail to be around the hook shaft length, get it close and don't worry about exactness. I tie in the PT fibers about mid hook point, again close enough will work (you can see that I didn't quite go back far enough on this one). The type of hook you use (many will work just fine) will cause some adjustment for every pattern. The tail tied in with 4 tight wraps....

PTail 6 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

The body wrapped forward to the eye. Just a note that all my pictures are from the tyer perspective and I wrap all fibers, dubbing yarn & chenille aorund the shaft AWAY from me.....

PTail 7 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Now wrap the wire ribbing as equal as you can so that you can get 4-5 good segmentations on the body. Like the TT, wrap the wire against the grain - meaning I wrap the wire from the other side of my vice back towards me...

PTail 8 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Now for my "make it simple" variation - tie in the peacock herl and wrap to bead.....

PTail 9 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Ta Daa!

PTail 10 by Robert Brown, on Flickr
    Last edited by RScott; 11-23-17, 09:46 AM.
    RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

I have noticed you have a taper in your flies. Big to small towards the tail end. Is Taper an important aspect of tying?

Comment

Thanks for this pattern, RScott. I'd kind of wondered how one might adapt a classic pattern like the pheasant tail nymph that usually has a clear "top" and "bottom" side for a jig hook that would ride upside down. I was guessing that it'd be best to just omit that part of the pattern that makes for a top and bottom part (the wing case, in this instance). So, it's good to see this as an example.

Just out of curiosity, would using a non-slotted bead effect whether a jig hook rides with the point up?
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Remoh View Post
        I have noticed you have a taper in your flies. Big to small towards the tail end. Is Taper an important aspect of tying?

I don't think Scott thinks about the taper that hard. It's just something that happens for him and he is happy with it cause it catches fish on a Thursday.

I would say you suck, but you don't. However, I will just to get it off my chest.

As always, Thank you !
        Nothing is impossible the impossible just takes a little longer. So take your time and enjoy the experience.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BESon View Post
          Thanks for this pattern, RScott. I'd kind of wondered how one might adapt a classic pattern like the pheasant tail nymph that usually has a clear "top" and "bottom" side for a jig hook that would ride upside down. I was guessing that it'd be best to just omit that part of the pattern that makes for a top and bottom part (the wing case, in this instance). So, it's good to see this as an example.

Just out of curiosity, would using a non-slotted bead effect whether a jig hook rides with the point up?
          Brian - I will post a picture of a stonefly pattern I tied on a large jig hook, I did turn the fly upside down in my vice so that I could tie the legs in the upright position. A question to ask is "do drowned bugs and nymphs always float in the upright position?" Probably not.

I tried some regular, non-slotted beads on a jig hook and immediately realized the benefit of the slot. It leaves a little hook eye "stem" above the bead. Even with my high level of non conformist tolerance, it just looked weird. I gave them all to 2fly and told him they were special flies from Slovakia...
          RScott

Comment

Originally posted by SlowStreamer View Post

I would say you suck, but you don't. However, I will just to get it off my chest.
            It is always kind of fun telling RScott how much he sucks. Nice ancient classic pattern there RScott and you tie pretty good for a guy that rode the short bus all his life. I know a few tweed wearing purists who might even be willing to be seen in public fishing that fly.

Well done, looking forward to the next one.
            Last edited by Buck Henry; 10-04-14, 07:50 AM.
            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
            Simple Goat Herder
            Former NGTO President
            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Looking good man. Another fine staple with many variations. The classic for the tweed crowd, the frenchie non-tail version that is a staple in most of the non conforming crowd. Way to get it done partner and the special flies you gave me still catch fish!
              2flysigpic
              Pat

http://www.freewebs.com/georgiaflyfishingteam/
              http://https://www.facebook.com/2flyGuideService
              http://www.2flyguideservice.com
              You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
                It is always kind of fun telling RScott how much he sucks. Nice ancient classic pattern there RScott and you tie pretty good for a guy that rode the short bus all his life. I know a few tweed wearing purists who might even be willing to be seen in public fishing that fly.

Well done, looking forward to the next one.
                I too agree with Buck

I'll be the first to say it.... The tails are way too long. You do need to work on your proportions and the body is not very even. Hopefully you'll spend some time here and learn from excellent tiers like wet fly, Chuck Morris, and Slowstreamer. Get it together and stop trying to ruin everything.

Ok all joking aside. Pretty darn nice fly. I'd be glad to steal those out of your box and fish them
                sigpic
                ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
                - B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"Your a Idiott" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

Comment

I hope you tie Pats Pink Weenie next.
                  I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baldea View Post
                    I hope you tie Pats Pink Weenie next.

It looks so small in your hand.

Sent while stepping through the door
                    “There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” - Aldo Leopold

Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

"Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by RScott View Post
                      Brian - I will post a picture of a stonefly pattern I tied on a large jig hook, I did turn the fly upside down in my vice so that I could tie the legs in the upright position. A question to ask is "do drowned bugs and nymphs always float in the upright position?" Probably not.

I tried some regular, non-slotted beads on a jig hook and immediately realized the benefit of the slot. It leaves a little hook eye "stem" above the bead. Even with my high level of non conformist tolerance, it just looked weird. I gave them all to 2fly and told him they were special flies from Slovakia...
                      Good point, Scott. If the bugs float however the current takes them, then it probably doesn't matter if flies/patterns float upright. I also see what you mean about the non-slotted beads. I'm slowly accumulating supplies for tying and thought I'd try some non-slotted ones. I was noticing a gap between the bead and the end the pattern that was hard to fill. So, I guess it's time to order more slotted beads.
                      Brian

Comment

Bump for pictures
                        RScott

Comment

Working...
                        X