Prowler's Conehead Bunny Leech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prowler's Conehead Bunny Leech

I came up with this pattern a few weeks ago and have tweaked it a bit. It has been performing really well on the toccoa. Probably because of all the movement it has.

Hook: BigT's size 8 Barbless Streamer hook
    Head: Gold tungsten cone
    Lead: .025 lead wire 16 wraps
    Thread: Black 8/0 and fire orange 8/0 for the hotspot
    Tail: Olive rabbit zonker tied in at tail and behind bead
    Body: Hare'e Ice Dub (Peacock)
    Gills: Red saddle hackle tips (One on each side)
    Collar: Olive rabbit fur (Put in a dubbing loop forming sort of a soft hackle collar)
    Hotspot: Fire orange thread behind bead.

2018-04-22_01-06-48 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr
    I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
    sigpic

Nice. I’ve been tying a lot of these lately but with full wraps of zonker for the collar. I need to try the dubbing loop. The full wraps can be a bit much for the smaller ones.
    Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

I think I have seen that one in action. Nice fly.
      http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Very similar to the Muddy Buddy except MB has a deer hair collar. https://thecatchandthehatch.com/product/muddy-buddy/

Btw--when I tie these, I run the hook through the rabbit skin for the rear connection instead of tying the skin down with thread. Saves a tying step.
        Last edited by The Ole Man; 04-22-18, 09:50 AM.

Comment

That will be equally effective for trout, and bass..Nice work!
          Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Beautiful....hell... Id try to eat it! Would love to see a video of this one being tied. May be easy for the experienced to dissect from the photos, but we newbies need a little more help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are some vids online for the Muddy Buddy. There are many variations. Different colors, diff body and collar materials, some with short rubber legs, some long, some with no rubber legs. A rabbit strip wing is pretty much the only thing standard for all but some also use a Pine Squirrel strip for the wing instead. You can make it what you like. Search-- Muddy Buddy Fly Video.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ole Man View Post
                Very similar to the Muddy Buddy except MB has a deer hair collar. https://thecatchandthehatch.com/product/muddy-buddy/

Btw--when I tie these, I run the hook through the rabbit skin for the rear connection instead of tying the skin down with thread. Saves a tying step.
                I like the yellow rubber legs in that one and the red krystal flash. I've been doing really well on the toccoa with a streamer I call a sparkle leech which uses the hare'e peacock ice dub. I recently picked up some zonker strips from bigT and decided to tinker around with a zonker streamer with the same dubbing for the body and so far it has been doing very well. I am still tweaking it a bit here and there but so far it has been a winner. I think the dubbing, gives it just enough sparkle/flash and the zonker strips gives it a ton of movement so its hard to resist.
                I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  I think I have seen that one in action. Nice fly.
                  Thanks T.

------Team Norvise------
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erikclymore View Post
                    Nice. Ive been tying a lot of these lately but with full wraps of zonker for the collar. I need to try the dubbing loop. The full wraps can be a bit much for the smaller ones.
                    Yeah full wraps just seem to add too much bulk to me. Try the dubbing loop. I think you will like it and you will find it helps you cut down on bulk and come out with a nice cleaner fly.

------Team Norvise------
                    sigpic

Comment

Nice fly!
                      "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Very nice fly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet tie!

Comment

Working...
                          X