The Donald

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Donald

I stopped tying when I picked up the small stream addiction. Not sure why, just seemed like I had no time. But, since I've been hitting the big stream again, I've found myself at the bench a little more. I'm pretty terrible, too. I understand it's a skill, but it's also art(st/crafty) and that gene isn't in my lineage. Anyhow, I try.

This new creation came from me wanting to create something that was half pheasant tail, half (possibly) brown trout alevin/fry. It's basically a large soft hackle pheasant tail with an orange tag for a tail. When I sent an image of it to Big T, he responded "it takes time." Reading between the lines, I figured that was a nice way of saying it won't catch fish. Lol

Well, it found its way into my box anyhow and today while trying a new stretch of water, having only caught a few fish, I decided to try it. I immediately landed my biggest hooch brown to date, then just missed landing three more, then landed another 6-8, and a few bows. At least four of the fish had to be put to the reel. Here's a few that I was able to photograph before taking a dip and deciding that taking pictures of fish in nearly chest deep water is stupid

I ended up losing "The Donald", the only one I tied to a heckuva mess of spinning gear that was just too deep in too fast current for me to retrieve.

This afternoon, while mini me was chilling after camp, I tied a few more and a variant that I call the wind blown Donald, a reverse hackle version.

I guess when the fish are hungry they'll even eat ugly flies that don't even look like food...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna try that fly out at JB on the weekends when the horn music is blasting
    We are the music-makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    Wandering by lone sea-breakers
    And sitting by desolate streams;
    World losers and world forsakers,
    On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

The Donald

At Settles this morning, I threw darn near everything in my fly box with few fish to hand, while Splatek caught fish consistently with The Donald. I'll take a dozen.

Last edited by 3-wt; 07-21-17, 02:21 PM.
      "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

I will never look at a fly and say it won't catch fish. I still tie really ugly flies and they catch fish. I knew that dog would hunt.
        http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Originally posted by Streamside Sam View Post
          At Settles this morning, I threw darn near everything in my fly box with few fish to hand, while Splatek caught fish consistently with The Donald. I'll take a dozen.

Bahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Streamside Sam View Post

That reverse hackle is a spitting image of the trumpster

Comment

Working...
            X