• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big T's Quilled Midge Dry Fly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3oWSRaxAFg

A good one for the midge hatches.
    http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Great tie T! I usually don't tie dries but this looks like a great candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great video. Two half hitches at once?!?! What!?!?

Since I've been in my perdigon phase, I've been doing some quilldigons that Stinkbait posted a link too. Did the bleach stripping which came out surprising well.

This stuff is a pain in the arse to deal with. As bad as herl is, quill is way more brittle. Broke off about half my ties then just started tying two per fly before they got to that breaking point. You can see the little bump in the third fly where I tied in the second.

The segmentation on these looks very realistic, so all in all its worth it.

Question: What are you using to die these? I tried Rit and it didn't come out like I wanted to. Wound up just taking a highlighter to a few and it gives off a nice lustrous sheen, and the darker edges really pop. I realize they are water based markers but hopefully a coat of rez will remedy this.

We are the music-makers,
      And we are the dreamers of dreams,
      Wandering by lone sea-breakers
      And sitting by desolate streams;
      World losers and world forsakers,
      On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
        Great video. Two half hitches at once?!?! What!?!?

Since I've been in my perdigon phase, I've been doing some quilldigons that Stinkbait posted a link too. Did the bleach stripping which came out surprising well.

This stuff is a pain in the arse to deal with. As bad as herl is, quill is way more brittle. Broke off about half my ties then just started tying two per fly before they got to that breaking point. You can see the little bump in the third fly where I tied in the second.

The segmentation on these looks very realistic, so all in all its worth it.

Question: What are you using to die these? I tried Rit and it didn't come out like I wanted to. Wound up just taking a highlighter to a few and it gives off a nice lustrous sheen, and the darker edges really pop. I realize they are water based markers but hopefully a coat of rez will remedy this.

My guess is you had them in bleach too long. I put in a 50/50 bleach water solution and shake vigorously for maybe five minutes. The key is to wash and then put in a baking soda water solution which neutralizes the bleaching.

I do use Rit on my dyed quills I will try and post a pic some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          My guess is you had them in bleach too long. I put in a 50/50 bleach water solution and shake vigorously for maybe five minutes. The key is to wash and then put in a baking soda water solution which neutralizes the bleaching.

I do use Rit on my dyed quills I will try and post a pic some time.
          The color came out good, I did a 25/75 bleach to water. Did the baking soda rinse and even used good quills from the eye. Did a vigorous shake but didn't need to go that long, maybe because it was just one eye.

I did use warm water with the bleach then rinsed with cold water so maybe this attributed to harding the molecules and causing them to become more brittle or just crappy peacock that I got from Joannes. Probably both.

Also, just remembered I started by tying in the wider end first, and it would break of as the taper got thinner towards the eye, noticed you did the opposite which makes sense with the tension. Futhermore, the rit was very old from back when I made tie-die shirts MAAANNN! and I may have overdid it. Will have to try again and maybe dilute it.

Awesome video as always, learned a lot.
          We are the music-makers,

Comment

Good looking fly and I'm super glad it won't make my pee an smell. Phew, or PU!

At any rate, anyone try shortening their Euro leader to toss dry drop in the windy City, I mean the hooch tailwater?
            Got a couple today, about eight, 4 and 4, but the wild was a Cray.
            Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
              Good looking fly and I'm super glad it won't make my pee an smell. Phew, or PU!

At any rate, anyone try shortening their Euro leader to toss dry drop in the windy City, I mean the hooch tailwater?
              Got a couple today, about eight, 4 and 4, but the wild was a Cray.
              Thoughts?

I put a cassette reel on my Syndicate 3 weight and I am going to take a traditional set up with weight forward line and a 9 foot leader to use when it gets way windy, that way I can change from nymphing to regular line in a matter of minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                I put a cassette reel on my Syndicate 3 weight and I am going to take a traditional set up with weight forward line and a 9 foot leader to use when it gets way windy, that way I can change from nymphing to regular line in a matter of minutes.
                Whats a cassette is that like from the 80s?

Been doing the traditional way since someone stole my Nymphing setup at the dam. It work and you don't need to carry extra stuff cept a few leaders.
                We are the music-makers,

Comment

Working...
                X