To Rib or Counter Rib

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Rib or Counter Rib

Since moving from Memphis I tend to be anti-rib due to the lack of dry rub ribs, but that's a different topic of discussion.

When tying a fly that calls for a rib, which is usually decorative in nature it seems most tyers wrap their rib in the same direction as the material. I tend to do counter-ribs, which I think tends to protect the materials better or maybe it's because I am half left handed.

What say you?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Originally posted by UncleJesse View Post
    Since moving from Memphis I tend to be anti-rib due to the lack of dry rub ribs, but that's a different topic of discussion.

When tying a fly that calls for a rib, which is usually decorative in nature it seems most tyers wrap their rib in the same direction as the material. I tend to do counter-ribs, which I think tends to protect the materials better or maybe it's because I am half left handed.

What say you?
    I counter rib always unless its over thread. This is for the simple fact that the material seems to find the grooves in whatever material thats underneath better and sits more aesthetically correct. But what do I know, I'm half right handed. Seriously....they make you convert if your a southpaw back in the motherland.
    We are the music-makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    Wandering by lone sea-breakers
    And sitting by desolate streams;
    World losers and world forsakers,
    On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

I'm a dry rub rib man myself. I will eat mopped ribs, but prefer dry rub.

When I tied, I went counter wrap especially when wrapping with wire. If just window dressing, wrap with the flow.
      BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
      Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
        I'm half right handed. Seriously....they make you convert if your a southpaw back in the motherland.
        My grandmother went through that in the early 1900's. If I am doing something one handed, i.e. casting, writing, I am right handed; if it requires two hands I am naturally left handed.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleJesse View Post
          My grandmother went through that in the early 1900's. If I am doing something one handed, i.e. casting, writing, I am right handed; if it requires two hands I am naturally left handed.
          Supposedly it stopped in the 90s but I know it went on until before 2000 in some areas. My grandpappy, who was also left handed, used to hit me in the head with a wooden spoon if I used my left hand at the table. Ironically, he got a stroke that debilitated his right side and had to go back to the left.
          We are the music-makers,
          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
          And sitting by desolate streams;
          World losers and world forsakers,
          On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Kelly Galloup has a great video on this exact topic. I usually defer to him on fly tying tips:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl6aYm7fTqU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Okay, UncleJesse, I'll play along. . . How does one tie cole slaw into the mix?
              If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Angel View Post
                Okay, UncleJesse, I'll play along. . . How does one tie cole slaw into the mix?
                Cole Slaw goes on the top of the meat in your BBQ sandwich.

Comment

I'm from Chicago and even I knew that.

Comment

Working...
                  X