No announcement yet.

Whatís this called

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whatís this called

    What is the technique called when one splits the thread, embeds a line of feather fibers between the thread strands, and then spins the bobbin?

    For the life of me I cannot remember what itís called. Iím trying to look up patterns on YouTube.

    Thanks for helping my failing memory.

  • #2
    I've mostly heard the technique being referred to as the "Split Thread Technique". Usually for quicker Dubbing loops, or for gripping CDC feathers tightly.


    • #3
      Thanks, John.


      • #4
        Glad to help! Seems like you already had the answer in your question 👍🏼

        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


        • #5
          Dubbing loop or a composite loop where you can double the thread over onto itself without splitting if you want more substance. You can almost make a sort of “dubbing brush” this way.A dubbing spinner tool helps but is not necessary, very easy to make your own.
          We are the music-makers,
          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
          And sitting by desolate streams;
          World losers and world forsakers,
          On whom the pale moon gleams.


          • #6
            Sighter's got it. Generally referred to as a split thread technique. Not sure if he invented it but if you look at Marc Petitjean videos you'll see he uses this method a lot.

            It's advantage over standard dubbing loop is reduced bulk at tie in point. The disadvantage is it is not as strong as the doubled thread of the dubbing loop. Don't over-twist the bobbin or you can pop the thread.
            These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it.
            -- Dick Blalock