Whatís this called

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatís this called

What is the technique called when one splits the thread, embeds a line of feather fibers between the thread strands, and then spins the bobbin?

For the life of me I cannot remember what itís called. Iím trying to look up patterns on YouTube.

Thanks for helping my failing memory.

I've mostly heard the technique being referred to as the "Split Thread Technique". Usually for quicker Dubbing loops, or for gripping CDC feathers tightly.

Comment

Thanks, John.

Comment

Glad to help! Seems like you already had the answer in your question 👍🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dubbing loop or a composite loop where you can double the thread over onto itself without splitting if you want more substance. You can almost make a sort of “dubbing brush” this way.A dubbing spinner tool helps but is not necessary, very easy to make your own.
          We are the music-makers,
          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
          And sitting by desolate streams;
          World losers and world forsakers,
          On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Sighter's got it. Generally referred to as a split thread technique. Not sure if he invented it but if you look at Marc Petitjean videos you'll see he uses this method a lot.

It's advantage over standard dubbing loop is reduced bulk at tie in point. The disadvantage is it is not as strong as the doubled thread of the dubbing loop. Don't over-twist the bobbin or you can pop the thread.
            These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it.
            -- Dick Blalock

Comment

Working...
            X