Clear All

So freaking difficult

Best I have so far...
    Attached Files
    minimumexposure on IG

Comment

Originally posted by vancheesey View Post
      Best I have so far...
      That dog will hunt. Good proportions and a hotspot. Go get it wet!!!
      I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vancheesey View Post
        Best I have so far...
        There is no doubt that son of a gun will catch a trout. Just keep at it. You will figure out a few tricks and things start to become easier.
        Last edited by Trout "R"; 09-21-18, 03:58 PM.
        "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger." - Herbert Hoover

Comment

I started tying my own because I couldn't find any Rubber Legged Dragons locally. So I started with a kit from Bass Pro, added some chenille, bead chain, and rubber legs, and then practiced. A lot. Now a few years later, the RLD's are looking pretty good and catching a bunch of bluegills and bass, and I've expanded into clousers, bullet-headed hoppers, foam spiders, and others. Yeah, I upgraded the vise and added a few tools, but because I wanted to, not because I had to. All the advise posted here is valid and valuable, so take it all in and jump into the fly-tying pool. You won't look back.

Comment

Dude, if that fly is your starting point, you will be fine. All my flies looked drunk for the first two years after I started tying. Will you save money? No (not even close), but who cares. Kind of like Prowler said, now all my fishing trips are extended by one or more days. Before a trip I sit down and start tying all the flies that I will need, specific to the streams I will fish. If its a weekend trip it may only take one evening, but if its a week long trip it may take several evenings.

Comment

The per fly cost is will be lower and the pain of leaving one somewhere in the river is somewhat less. The enjoyment of making a decent looking fly and catching a fish on a fly you tye is priceless. If you study the entomology of the bugs you will probably understand your prey and become a better fisherman.
              Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Working...
              X