i...dont...want...to...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i...dont...want...to...

hey, maybe some of yall can help...i have been avoiding getting into tying flies like the plague...however, i am sick of paying three bucks a fly and donating a large number of them to the river gods, so...im wondering...if i am interested in only tying pretty simple nymphs, can it be done for cheaper than 3 bucks a shot? if so, any pointers or advice on what to buy to get started...again, i have no interest in buying tons of supplies and stuff that i will never use, i am approaching this from a total utilitarian attitude...i want to tie what i need as quickly and economically as possible...fly tying gear is even more confusing than fly fishing gear...
    minimumexposure on IG

I am going to stay away from recommending a super cheap vice because I have no experience with them. I went straight to a ~$100 vice. I’m pretty happy but wouldn’t mind an upgrade.
    You can get by with lower end scissors, a bobbin, and maybe some hackle pliers( if you intend on tying any soft hackles) as long as you’re patient and willing to figure out and work around your tool’s flaws(I am using a cheap bobbin that will cut my thread if I’m not careful, so I try to be aware and not make overly tightthread wraps). Buy cheap hooks and beads, preferably in bulk and that will keep the price down significantly. Other than that a couple packs of dubbing, a couple pheasant tails, some ribbing of your choice(wire, flash, etc.) and a couple spools of thread and you could crank out a number of patterns for fairly cheap. I would also add a pack of natural cdc. The natural can be used with most colored flies and having some soft hackles in your arsenal is never a bad thing.
    You could take it a step further and scrounge for material around the house or other places. I’ve found a premo buck tail just lying on the side of the road! Can you believe that?

The start up cost might suck but if you stick to your guns and not stray from your desired patterns then it could certainly be done.
    Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Best advice I ever got on fly tying was

" you're not going to save money by starting this "

Its just another aspect of this great hobby. And a fulfilling one when you catch a fish on your own tied fly.

Otherwise, check out the many online fly shops for much less expensive prices.
      @glennmau

Comment

I think flies can be tied cheaply with a few basic materials, especially nymphs and simple streamers. There is a learning curve and it does take some of your time to tie them.
        Last edited by Gnatt; 08-29-18, 03:37 PM.

Comment

That first fly you tie will cost you a lot more than $3.00 bucks! As stated, do not start tying thinking it will save you money. But do start tying if you want a very fulfilling extension of your fly fishing hobby.
          Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
          Simple Goat Herder
          Former NGTO President
          Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I think an initial investment in a vice that won't frustrate the S*** out of you is worth it. After that, think about what you want to tie based on where you fish. Buy your dries, it's just easier. Tie midges and nymph - hook, thread, rib, bead. Boom.
            Make a friend in china and the stuff is dirt cheap and you realize the mark-up on the materials is absolutely ridiculous!

Comment

https://www.bigyflyco.com/items/Flie...heads/list.htm

I buy just about all my flies from here. Most flies are 60 to 70 cents each. Can't beat it.

Comment

I was buying from big y until I found a dude that ties amazing nymphs with incredible Tactical hooks but heís just getting too busy... check out Justin Aldrich on IG to see how awesomely his stuff is...
                minimumexposure on IG

Comment

Don't over think this, once you get started with an initial investment, your flies will be a lot cheaper than $3 each. I have used a Renzetti traveller for the past 8 years, great vise that doesn't break the bank, check with Big T on hooks and beads (NGTO discount), beads and dubbing and tie up some nymphs. Focus on techniques like spinning a good dubbed body before patterns and leave dry flies for later. Leeches and boogers are next, leeches being a lot easier.

Your first 500 flies are gonna look like crap, dont worry, fish don't care and will eat them anyway. This forum has a lot of great tips and patterns, and the Fling usually has some great deals on tying stuff.

Erik - if you have a bobbin that is cutting your thread, toss it. Some can be fixed by gluing a bead to the top or filing down the sharp edge.
                  RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Originally posted by vancheesey View Post
                    , i am approaching this from a total utilitarian attitude...i want to tie what i need as quickly and economically as possible...
                    Then you will be missing out on so much more that this sport (hobby, lifestyle, community) has to offer. It can be much more enjoyable than just trying to catch a fish.
                    I am definitely one that likes to do things on the cheap. But tying flies or other aspects associated with flyfishing just adds to the enjoyment of the sport off the water.

Comment

Originally posted by RScott View Post
                      Erik - if you have a bobbin that is cutting your thread, toss it. Some can be fixed by gluing a bead to the top or filing down the sharp edge.
                      Itís not exactly cutting my thread. Iíve had one that straight cut my thread every rotation. It is just not as rounded as my last bobbin. I just canít crank down on utc like I am used to. Finesse is all.
                      I was going to finally upgrade and get one of those bobbins that have a pure ceramic tube but bass pro was lacking in their choices.

But back on topic, I would also shy away from dubbing dispensers. I thought I was getting a great deal in the beginning but I used maybe 3 or 4 of the colors. The other 8 have sat unused. I would stick with a pack of hares ear dubbing and one pack of something flashy(ice dub, hareíe ice dub, etc.) for when you want some flash.

What patterns are you wanting to tie?
                      Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Originally posted by vancheesey View Post
                        hey, maybe some of yall can help...i have been avoiding getting into tying flies like the plague...however, i am sick of paying three bucks a fly and donating a large number of them to the river gods, so...im wondering...if i am interested in only tying pretty simple nymphs, can it be done for cheaper than 3 bucks a shot? if so, any pointers or advice on what to buy to get started...again, i have no interest in buying tons of supplies and stuff that i will never use, i am approaching this from a total utilitarian attitude...i want to tie what i need as quickly and economically as possible...fly tying gear is even more confusing than fly fishing gear...
                        Van, allow around $160 for a good rotary vise and never look back on the cost; it will be worth it. I, too, was in the same boat you are now but several years back. If you want you can get a copy of Steve Hudson's book, Intro to fly tying or if not, you can borrow mine for a tutorial guide. Query the board here for good basic flies to start with and shop Big T for materials, all of his stuff is excellent and the cost is right. I don't tie up dries but do get thru Big Y also and they are good.

PM me if you want to look at Steve's book and we can set it up; also I can show you what I tie both good, bad and scary.

Kelly Hinson

Comment

i...dont...want...to...

The one good bobbin I bought(a renzetti I believe) has been a thread cutting mofo. My Indian bobbins are still running strong. Get an atlas vice. They're the Tacoma of vices. Sure there are much better ones, but the atlas will do it all for years and years. I have an anvil and it's got some quirks that make me wish I went anvil. The "deluxe" white river vise from Bass pro that comes with 3 jaws is actually a very serviceable vise for 30-40 dollars. That's a good half toe dip in in case you think you'll hate the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: peak vise. Not anvil. I have an anvil and like I said wish I had a peak. And vise not vice.
                          "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                          -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Vance if you want to get into tying I have a Griffin Odyssey C-clamp vise that is rotary your more than welcome to try out to get you started. I recently bought myself a renzetti traveler so it's all I use now, so the Odyssey is sitting there not being used.

Like others have said big T is a great source for all your tying needs good prices and you'll receive your order in record time. If you want to see what your buying first hand doesn't hurt to go into Orvis or AO or even a trip up to Unicoi Outfitters that's where I bought my first tying stuff at.
                            Last edited by WPrich; 08-29-18, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks to all for the responses...i ordered a tool kit and Iím going to borrow an old vise from a nearby friend...Iíll let yíall know how it goes...Iím really really really hoping that this doesnít turn into the same sort of obsession that fly fishing has become...
                              minimumexposure on IG

Comment

Working...
                              X