PMX Variation (Indicator Fly)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMX Variation (Indicator Fly)

Recently I found a deal of 100 small indicator balls from china so I have been messing around finding other uses for them other than the stimicator. I am anxious to try this PMX version out.

2018-09-11_11-38-34 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr
    I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
    sigpic

Neat idea. I'm all for indicators

Comment

That's really neat, I like the looks of that one

Comment

How are you attaching those indies to the fly?
        Did I miss the tying recipe, somewhere? YouTube, hopefully?

Really neat idea. I love fishing dry-drop, but on the boat, for whatever reason, I find myself using an small air-lock indie and it produces. But having an indie with a hook, well that would be awesome. The other day I was out, catching plenty of subsurface fish, but I saw a bunch of fish coming to the surface about 11am(ish) and I thought about tying a dry on. I think I just don't want to be bothered dressing and playing with a dry on the boat, but might try tomorrow.
        ...but would also love a recipe...or at least the how-to on getting the indies attached, what type of indies, etc

Comment

Once you go dry, you'll never go back!
          "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
          -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
            How are you attaching those indies to the fly?
            Did I miss the tying recipe, somewhere? YouTube, hopefully?

Really neat idea. I love fishing dry-drop, but on the boat, for whatever reason, I find myself using an small air-lock indie and it produces. But having an indie with a hook, well that would be awesome. The other day I was out, catching plenty of subsurface fish, but I saw a bunch of fish coming to the surface about 11am(ish) and I thought about tying a dry on. I think I just don't want to be bothered dressing and playing with a dry on the boat, but might try tomorrow.
            ...but would also love a recipe...or at least the how-to on getting the indies attached, what type of indies, etc
            The indicator balls I normally use are made by lightning strike but I found these recently and got 100 for a few bucks. It took quite a while to get them being shipped from China but well worth it for the price and quantity. As far as attaching it to this fly to use as a parachute post, I used a piece of mono......tied a knot in the center large enough to not slip through the hole. Then i took both ends of the mono and pushed them through the hole. I then split the ends of mono tying down one end in front of the ball and the other end behind the ball finally I anchored it and centered the ball by wrapping tightly around the bottom of the ball to bring the two pieces of mono together and allow a small post for the hackle. Clear as mud right? I probably need to do a video when I get a chance lol
            I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
            sigpic

Comment

Exactly what I thought... Bahaha

Actually really clever diy.
              I'm stealing it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

IT WORKS!!!

VIDEO
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcuiwzRaAmE

------Team Norvise------
                sigpic

Comment

Dang, that's really neat.

Comment

I love it! One of these days I’m gonna quit being so cheap and buy some hackle and start tying dries. Your indicator dries will be at the top of the list.
                    Do you expect it to get eaten more having the indicator ball on top rather than in front like on your stimicator?
                    Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Originally posted by erikclymore View Post
                      I love it! One of these days I’m gonna quit being so cheap and buy some hackle and start tying dries. Your indicator dries will be at the top of the list.
                      Do you expect it to get eaten more having the indicator ball on top rather than in front like on your stimicator?
                      I'm not sure. I am just always trying to come up with new ideas and since I recently got a bunch of those balls in the mail I decided to try and use it as a parachute post so I tied a PMX-icator lol. It certainly performed well and the trout were hammering it. I will have to fish it more to see if it just happened to be a "good" day or if there is more to it. It is a really buggy looking fly and I think the rubber legs helped induce some strikes as well. It is certainly worth a round 2.

------Team Norvise------
                      sigpic

Comment

Looks great man. I dig it.

One thing I’ve always been more interested in is trying out stimi type flies that have mono tied in as exposed loops, and then can be attached to the line like a traditional wool indicator or thingamobber (looping the line through).

Allows for adjusting heights, unlike the “tie a spur of line in for attaching your dry” method.

I think this fly could be a good candidate for this type of thing so you’ve got me thinking about it again

_yero on instagram

Comment

Originally posted by orey10m View Post
                          Looks great man. I dig it.

One thing I’ve always been more interested in is trying out stimi type flies that have mono tied in as exposed loops, and then can be attached to the line like a traditional wool indicator or thingamobber (looping the line through).

Allows for adjusting heights, unlike the “tie a spur of line in for attaching your dry” method.

I think this fly could be a good candidate for this type of thing so you’ve got me thinking about it again

I've always wanted to perfect the same type of fly and came up with a few prototypes but never could quite works out the bugs to get it just right

------Team Norvise------
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X