Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oyster Make your own

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oyster Make your own

    Well I signed up the Oyster July 9th class. Any input on what to expect? The info I got said to expect 8-10 hour days. I have never paid to be in prison work camp!

  • #2
    Man I'm jealous


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
    -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

    "Stop Whining"

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm jealous of your boat. After I make it maybe we can barter time?

      Comment


      • #4
        First off, you will love the experience and you will leave with an amazing bamboo rod that you built yourself. And yes, you are in for some long days that week! The first three days are very physical; lots of splitting and precision stripping to tolerances you would not think are possible. Your hands and arms will be aching for sure. The last three days are more mentally taxing as you bring the rods pieces together and then do all of the painstaking finishing work. Your brain is what will be hurting during this phase. The last day is the best, dipping the rod in varnish and drinking while you wait for it to dry.

        As Bill is fond of saying, each step in the process is a disaster waiting to happen! But don't fret, they have not lost a student yet!
        Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

        Buck Henry
        Simple Goat Herder
        Former NGTO President
        Hall of Fame Member

        Comment


        • #5
          I've never taken Bill's class, but I have made a couple of rods. It is labor intensive and technical. The wrapping and finish work can get to you, sometimes you just have to put it down and walk off for a few. But as rodmaker Buck says, it is worth it.

          And you need to get the nomenclature correct. You build graphite rods. You make cane rods. Learn to be a rod maker.
          BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

          Exodus 29:18
          Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by eyeflyfish View Post
            I'm jealous of your boat. After I make it maybe we can barter time?


            Absolutely! I've asked for the class for a few christmas' but still come up empty. I'm down with boo and wood boats!


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
            -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

            "Stop Whining"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
              First off, you will love the experience and you will leave with an amazing bamboo rod that you built yourself. And yes, you are in for some long days that week! The first three days are very physical; lots of splitting and precision stripping to tolerances you would not think are possible. Your hands and arms will be aching for sure. The last three days are more mentally taxing as you bring the rods pieces together and then do all of the painstaking finishing work. Your brain is what will be hurting during this phase. The last day is the best, dipping the rod in varnish and drinking while you wait for it to dry.



              As Bill is fond of saying, each step in the process is a disaster waiting to happen! But don't fret, they have not lost a student yet!


              I haven't built a rod yet, but that description also accurately describes boat building


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
              -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

              "Stop Whining"

              Comment


              • #8
                I appreciate all of the input. So today I will start doing pushups and yoga. Maybe by July I will have the arm strength and "mind set" to finish the week.

                Comment


                • #9
                  great class!

                  I took the class in July of 2016. You'll have a blast! You have a few folks that perform each task quickly, and a few folks that are very slow. Depending upon your pace, there can actually be a lot of down time, which I found to be perfect for consuming the fine beer they have on tap in the back of the shop (and also for handling work matters). I'm not saying it's easy by any means - my hands cramped a fair bit on some of the tasks, but it's laid back for the most part.
                  If I could give one bit of advice if would be to take your time on the wrapping and sanding process. I didn't take my time on sanding after doing the wraps, and it shows on the final product. I'm reminded of my mistake every time I take that rod out to fish.
                  http://southernhighlandsflyrod.blogspot.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    AK,
                    Sanding the bamboo or sanding between varnishing? Take time meaning finer grit with more sanding or less pressure and more strokes?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      yessir

                      There was a point after wrapping the thread where you had to sand the varnish around the guides. It was late in the afternoon, and I simply wasn't patient with the process. It was a delicate process because you had to sand the varnish to get it smooth, but at the same time, you had to be careful to avoid sanding down to the thread. I didn't take my time to get it nice and smooth, and you can see that in the finished product (at least I can).
                      One other thing, be prepared to be tempted to spend a lot of extra money and make relatively quick decisions regarding the rod and customization. If you want an engraving, come prepared with a design. At every step of the process there seemed to be some sort of upgrade option, as well as an important decision about how your rod would turn out, e.g., two piece versus four piece, eye insert, what style case, engraving, classic reel (hardy, etc.), hardware finish type (saltwater/freshwater), thread wrap color, etc.
                      Last edited by AK Pipeline; 12-07-17, 10:34 AM.
                      http://southernhighlandsflyrod.blogspot.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        AK thanks for the heads up

                        I have two of Oyster built rods already. The first had a custom engraving and the second had more appearance upgrades. Both have Hardy reels.

                        My inclination here is to keep it basic because I am the one making the rod. My daughter will not be able to sell a "daddy" made rod. Where there might be an opportunity to sell an Oyster made rod.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Take the time to pick out good, well fitting and supple gloves.
                          Have a ball, I did.
                          Bob

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            One other thing

                            One other thing I really enjoyed was going out during a break with another student and casting an 8 weight boo with Bill. He is the best I've seen.

                            Originally posted by eyeflyfish View Post
                            I have two of Oyster built rods already. The first had a custom engraving and the second had more appearance upgrades. Both have Hardy reels.

                            My inclination here is to keep it basic because I am the one making the rod. My daughter will not be able to sell a "daddy" made rod. Where there might be an opportunity to sell an Oyster made rod.
                            http://southernhighlandsflyrod.blogspot.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              DO NOT BUILD A 3 WT.!!!!! Unless you have eagle eyes or better. You will be trying to keep edges from rounding while you are sanding something smaller than a toothpick. Clear wraps are very, very forgiving.

                              But you will have an amazing experience. I have built 4 and trying to decide when to do #5.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X