No announcement yet.

DIY Wading Staff with removable hook...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Wading Staff with removable hook...

My old Kelty telescoping hiking staff finally crapped out on me, the bottom section would not lock. So I made a new one out of sched 80 pvc. Put a cane/crutch cap on one end, hammered in a wooden dowel, drilled out a hole for a threaded rod ďcouplerĒ, then popped on a moutain bike grip and done.

I can screw on the hook for fly/lure retreival from stream bed or tree branches. It will come on/off without much trouble but I may leave on most of time to start with and see if hook gets in way.

Not going to be collapsible but I think it is going to work fine. Here are a few pics if anyone interested:

I like the hook idea. I may try to rig up something for the two piece monopod I am using. It has a camera stud so should be pretty easy.

Comment

That hook will be worth itís weight in gold. Iíve got a similar setup for a pushpole that I built for my boat. Itís a wooden broom handle with a rubber bike grip and wrist loop around the top with a hook just like that screwed in. I built it for grabbing jug lines that got pulled under overhanging trees but I canít tell you how many lures itís helped me unsnag since then.

Itís also useful for breaking off dead branches that are blocking casts while keeping a distance.

Comment

kmmcracy, home depot has a all thread connector "nut" 1 - 1.5" long female thread each end. I don't know if they are available down to a quarter inch or not.
        Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

I thought Iíd try this too while Iím at it, probably be awkward//in the way, but weíll see. If I ever go to Waters Creek, Iíd be outside of regs...

Comment

Working...
          X