Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a 4wt setup?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to basically replace my beginner setup and buy a pricier 4wt setup. Now that I'm employed, I'd like to enjoy the finer things in life. Looking to spend up to $400. Could be convinced into spending more but I'm sure its not too necessary.

I mostly fish larger creeks/small rivers like the upper hootch, chattooga, nantahala, smith creek, etc. I don't really encounter fish bigger than 14 or so inches. I use nymphs 95% of the time.

I've been doing some looking around and have talked to a few people for suggestions.

As of the moment, I'm really liking the Orvis Clearwater outfit at $311. Lets me save some money by buying everything together. Even comes with line.
    I'm also willing to buy the rod and reel separately if you guys have any rods and reel suggestions that you love to pair together.

I'm basically looking to build/buy something that'll keep me happy for years. May buy a 6wt in the future. Please do comment if you have opinions/suggestions.

Something you may want to check...what brand line comes with the combo? A lot of combos come with less than top quality lines. If you are forking out 400 bones, you should expect a top quality line. Go to Unicoi Outfitters, FishHawk, Alpharetta Outfitters, or one of our other sponsors and try out the outfit you are interested in. See if they have other suggestions. $400 should get you a great light outfit.
    One thing to remember, a great rod won't cast a lesser quality line any better than a mid grade rod. Lines have gotten really specialized, talk to an outfitter and get the best line for your needs. Good luck and have fun shopping!
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
      Something you may want to check...what brand line comes with the combo? A lot of combos come with less than top quality lines. If you are forking out 400 bones, you should expect a top quality line. Go to Unicoi Outfitters, FishHawk, Alpharetta Outfitters, or one of our other sponsors and try out the outfit you are interested in. See if they have other suggestions. $400 should get you a great light outfit.
      One thing to remember, a great rod won't cast a lesser quality line any better than a mid grade rod. Lines have gotten really specialized, talk to an outfitter and get the best line for your needs. Good luck and have fun shopping!
      This is the main reason I've been looking at the Orvis outfit. The clearwater line, although the least expensive they sell, is still rated fairly well on a few websites I've looked it.

Comment

You may want to look at the next step up the Orvis ladder. I received a Orvis Recon 8'6" 4 wt last year for my birthday and it is a fantastic rod. Same tapers as the top of the line Helios2 but less high-tech resins. I fish it in everything from small streams to the Toccoa. Very accurate rod and tracks great.

PS- Orvis is currently offering the rod swap 20% deal. Trade in ANY old fly rod and get 20% off Recon, Superfine or Helios. Heck, go spend $30 for a WalMart rod and save $100 off a Recon!
        Heck, I have an el-cheapo fly rod from Academy that I'll GIVE you if you want to trade it in (will keep me from being tempted to go buy a new rod myself
        - Jed Green

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
        Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps

Comment

Lumis, I use a 10' 3wt most of the time. I do have a 9' 4wt Clearwater combo that I've been pleased with for indicator and small streamer fishing. I'll second fishnpreacher's recommendation and stop by a shop and cast a couple to see which you are most comfortable with.
          I don't own a rifle or bow that I can out shoot or a rod that I can outcast (even the "beginner models" but the ones I do own are comfortable for me to work with. A few minutes with a knowledgeable person in a shop can be very helpful.
          THEY TRIED TO BURY US BUT THEY DID NOT KNOW WE WERE SEEDS

Comment

Good info here for anyone rod shopping!

Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg Vet View Post
              You may want to look at the next step up the Orvis ladder. I received a Orvis Recon 8'6" 4 wt last year for my birthday and it is a fantastic rod. Same tapers as the top of the line Helios2 but less high-tech resins. I fish it in everything from small streams to the Toccoa. Very accurate rod and tracks great.

PS- Orvis is currently offering the rod swap 20% deal. Trade in ANY old fly rod and get 20% off Recon, Superfine or Helios. Heck, go spend $30 for a WalMart rod and save $100 off a Recon!
              Heck, I have an el-cheapo fly rod from Academy that I'll GIVE you if you want to trade it in (will keep me from being tempted to go buy a new rod myself
              While the Recon rod/outfit looks very nice, I don't think I could justify spending $400+ on the rod (even with the discount) or $600+ on the outfit.

If I don't find something else I'm interested in, I'll definitely stop by the Orvis store in Alpharetta (or Unicoi if I'm around Helen) and try out the Clearwater. Thank you guys for all the advice so far.

Comment

I totally understand. Just letting you know about the deal in case you were interested. I think you’ll like the Clearwater really well. My daughters boyfriend has the 10’’ ft Clearwater and it is a sweet rod. I don’t think there is a better bang-for-your-buck combo out there and Orvis is famous for standing behind their products.
                - Jed Green

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
                Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps

Comment

Not to muddy the waters, but look at TFO rods, you can get a good reel for less than 100, and then 60-70 for line. You may not be buying an "outfit" with all 3 major components being from the same maker, but you can get a good 4wt set up for under the $400 budget you have.

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
                    Not to muddy the waters, but look at TFO rods, you can get a good reel for less than 100, and then 60-70 for line. You may not be buying an "outfit" with all 3 major components being from the same maker, but you can get a good 4wt set up for under the $400 budget you have.
                    No worries, I'm always down to hear out other suggestions. Durniak recommended TFO rods and the Clearwater to me a few days. I've looked at a few of their rods.

The finesse trout looks nice: https://tforods.com/finesse-trout-glass-fly-rods/ but I don't know enough about rods to really have a good opinion. I can say the same about almost anything else I'm looking to buy.

Comment

Spend good money on your line. If you are spending 400$ on a setup, I would urge you to around 25% of that on your line. My suggestions would be the Scientific anglers Mastery Line (trout or mpx) or better yet the amplitude smooth infinity or trout.

aside from line, your next most important component is the rod. The nee clearwater is really nice- my favorite in the 200$ class, but I would really urge you to try out a sage foundation as well. It is a good bit more expensive (325$) but it is made in America, and really, really nice. I think it is at least as nice as the orvis recon, and some of sages higher end products. Another good option, and cheaper yet is a classic trout, at around 150$

for reels, make it simple and get a lamson liquid: I own 3- they are awesome. around 100$. The redington zero is neat as well, and a bit cheaper, as is the orvis clearwater.

Some numbers:
                      clearwater+liquid+SA amplitude smooth ~400$
                      foundation+liquid+SA amplitude
                      ~525$
                      foundation+ Clearwater reel+ Mastery mpx
                      ~495$
                      Classic trout + liquid + mastery trout
                      ~330$

these prices are off the top of my head and may have changed

I should also note, for the higher end combos at Unicoi Outfitters, a purchase over 500$ qualifies you for a free certficate for a half day of fishing on Nacoochee bend- normally 120$.

If you have any other questions let me know
                      Jackson Dockery
                      sigpic
                      My Instagram
                      Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

Originally posted by ferrulewax View Post
                        Spend good money on your line. If you are spending 400$ on a setup, I would urge you to around 25% of that on your line. My suggestions would be the Scientific anglers Mastery Line (trout or mpx) or better yet the amplitude smooth infinity or trout.

aside from line, your next most important component is the rod. The nee clearwater is really nice- my favorite in the 200$ class, but I would really urge you to try out a sage foundation as well. It is a good bit more expensive (325$) but it is made in America, and really, really nice. I think it is at least as nice as the orvis recon, and some of sages higher end products. Another good option, and cheaper yet is a classic trout, at around 150$

for reels, make it simple and get a lamson liquid: I own 3- they are awesome. around 100$. The redington zero is neat as well, and a bit cheaper, as is the orvis clearwater.

Some numbers:
                        clearwater+liquid+SA amplitude smooth ~400$
                        foundation+liquid+SA amplitude
                        ~525$
                        foundation+ Clearwater reel+ Mastery mpx
                        ~495$
                        Classic trout + liquid + mastery trout
                        ~330$

these prices are off the top of my head and may have changed

I should also note, for the higher end combos at Unicoi Outfitters, a purchase over 500$ qualifies you for a free certficate for a half day of fishing on Nacoochee bend- normally 120$.

If you have any other questions let me know
                        Thank you for all of the suggestions. I appreciate it. I'll take a look at it all.

Comment

Working...
                        X