Wet Wade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Wade

So it's that time of the year again. Do you wet wade? What's your typical outfit? Shorts or pants? Wading boots, shoes or sandals? Socks or not? What's your best trick?

naked

Comment

Pants/Shorts/Shirt---100% synthetic (nylon, polyester). No cotton. Wallet in a sealed sandwich bag. Wading boots for ankle support and foot protection. High top neoprene booty socks for gravel/sand protection of the feet. No open wounds or scratches. Get cut or scraped in the water---get out immediately and apply peroxide. Don't re-enter the water.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ole Man View Post
        No open wounds or scratches. Get cut or scraped in the water---get out immediately and apply peroxide. Don't re-enter the water.
        If I went by these rules I would need a peroxide bath and never be able to re-enter the water again. Working in ponds all day I get cut/scrapes and im sure septic fish poo is flowing through my blood stream as we speak I also only wear chacos if its hot, zero support, zero sand/gravel protection... your post made me think im crazy

Comment

I'm only thinking in terms of the people that have lost limbs, and some their lives, to the flesh eating bacteria found in some waters. The most recent in Georgia was the girl in 2016 that fell off of a zip line into a stream and cut her leg on a rock. A few days later she was in the hospital fighting for her life. She lost both lower legs, a hand and fingers on other hand. Here is one story: https://www.cbs46.com/news/woman-los...43747b280.html

Comment

Originally posted by The Ole Man View Post
            I'm only thinking in terms of the people that have lost limbs, and some their lives, to the flesh eating bacteria found in some waters. The most recent in Georgia was the girl in 2016 that fell off of a zip line into a stream and cut her leg on a rock. A few days later she was in the hospital fighting for her life. She lost both lower legs, a hand and fingers on other hand. Here is one story: https://www.cbs46.com/news/woman-los...43747b280.html
            Yeah these stories always seem off to me. I get that it happens but I always wonder if itís the persons immune system and not the creek bacteria. But I canít say Iím not a doctor. But if I put peroxide on every cut Iíd ever had around a creek or river Iíd go broke .99 cents at a time.

Vibrio however is no joke especially with how gross inland waters can be in certain areas. I think what happened to the late Remoh here is a sobering reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
            -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

I wet wade everywhere as long as its not freezing outside. Trout fishing or warm water. My best purchase ever for wading shoes/sandals were a pair of merrells. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
              They have lasted me a year and a half and are still going strong. I go fishing just about every weekend and use them. I've hiked miles up creeks and climbed many mountains with them and they show no signs of wear. I never wear socks with them and I have never gotten a blister while wearing them, they are incredibly comfortable. My only complaint with them is that rocks, sand and other substrate easily enters them and it can be very frustrating to get out sometimes. I barely ever wade deeper than halfway up my thighs so just your regular shorts work.

I probably also wouldn't worry too much about infections or other weird stream born bacteria that was mentioned in the thread unless you have a week immune system. Years ago I used to swim in sweetwater creek and I have (by accident of course) swallowed at least a gallon of that water and i'm fine. Helps boost your immunity if you ask me lol. When I am out miles up some stream, I'm more worried about snakes, ticks and animals like boars or the rare bear. There are some places that I go that it is pretty common to find at least 20+ ticks on you throughout the day.

Comment

I like the hiking pants you can zip off the lower legs turning the pants into shorts. Quick drying, lots of pockets, including zippered pockets for stuff like an ID and your license - I do not carry the whole wallet. I have sooooo much money if it all got wet it would drag me down! 8- ) But seriously, when I wet wade I keep the pants long just for one small layer to protect to my pasty white legs from scraping on rocks, ledges, and brush getting to the water. When done fishing I zip the legs off, wring them out and head home in the shorts.

Comment

I always wet wade. Jeans if hiking through low-vis snake territory, shorts otherwise. Tennis shoes with a good grip. Tried barefoot wading a couple of times, very pleased with the improved feel of the bottom but of course it's not nearly as safe.
                  Speck

Follower of Christ
                  Pursuer of trout
                  -------------------------------------------------
                  "Your genuine action will explain itself and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing." -- Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by FMJHP View Post
                    I wet wade everywhere as long as its not freezing outside. Trout fishing or warm water. My best purchase ever for wading shoes/sandals were a pair of merrells. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
                    They have lasted me a year and a half and are still going strong. I go fishing just about every weekend and use them. I've hiked miles up creeks and climbed many mountains with them and they show no signs of wear. I never wear socks with them and I have never gotten a blister while wearing them, they are incredibly comfortable. My only complaint with them is that rocks, sand and other substrate easily enters them and it can be very frustrating to get out sometimes. I barely ever wade deeper than halfway up my thighs so just your regular shorts work.

I probably also wouldn't worry too much about infections or other weird stream born bacteria that was mentioned in the thread unless you have a week immune system. Years ago I used to swim in sweetwater creek and I have (by accident of course) swallowed at least a gallon of that water and i'm fine. Helps boost your immunity if you ask me lol. When I am out miles up some stream, I'm more worried about snakes, ticks and animals like boars or the rare bear. There are some places that I go that it is pretty common to find at least 20+ ticks on you throughout the day.
                    I have been looking at the Merrell water shoes. As a matter of fact I have been wading in an old pair Merrill Moabs. They just take a long time to dry out. I am also thinking about the Simms riprap shoes with the felt soles. Does anybody have any experience with them? Seems like a really good idea with the felt insert on the bottom. I just know that getting in and out of the water with steep banks presents a challenge for me and I have busted my butt a couple of times when wearing the felt soled wading boots and waders

Comment

I wet-wade all the time. Use my normal Chota STL boots usually over thick pair of wool socks and shorts (usually cotton as I donít care if they stay wet cause, hey, itís hot outside). I too have to give the good once-over looking for ticks when get home. Probably should buy wading pants and maybe those fancy neoprene Simms wading socks. Maybe.
                      - Jed Green

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
                      Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps

Comment

Iím still trying to find a used pair of Chacos to glue felt to the bottom of for drift boat fishing. My buddy whoís a big white water kayaker has a pair of Astral shoes that grip almost as good as felt that just look like regular tennis shoes. Theyíre better than any rubber wading boot sole Iíve experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                        -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

These are my wet wading shoes, Keen H2's - have kept me from stubbing my toe a number of times:

https://www.amazon.com/KEEN-Mens-New.../dp/B0001MQ60A

Comment

Originally posted by kmccrary View Post
                            I am also thinking about the Simms riprap shoes with the felt soles. Does anybody have any experience with them? Seems like a really good idea with the felt insert on the bottom. I just know that getting in and out of the water with steep banks presents a challenge for me and I have busted my butt a couple of times when wearing the felt soled wading boots and waders
                            I have them and I have been very disappointed. The felt strip down the middle is a joke; far too narrow to actually help. I've had them for 1 1/2 yrs now and they are falling apart.

"Everyone blows their money on stupid stuff. Just choose which stupid you want and roll with it."

Mark

Comment

I have them and I have been very disappointed. The felt strip down the middle is a joke; far too narrow to actually help. I've had them for 1 1/2 yrs now and they are falling apart.

Thanks for the heads up. That's good information to have. I had about talked myself out of them. I've been using some Columbia water shoes that are light and have a rubber sole. I went and got a stiffer insole to add support and so far they have worked OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X