Bass Line recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Line recommendations

I have bought an 8wt rod and Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor IV reel. Now I need a recommendation on a fly line for bass. So many out there would like advice on a specific line. Also 8 wt or a 9 wt line???? Any thoughts appreciated!

what type of flies do you plan on tossing? Small, easy into the wind kind of stuff or big nasties? I said it before on another thread but for big nasties nothing beats a RIO Outbound Short...........NOTHING!

HC

Comment

If you are going to throw heavy flies like Clousers or Hairy Fodders, a RIO clouser line works real well.
      "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority" Benjamin Franklin
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Plan to use deer hair bass bugs. Stick with matched 8wt or go to 9wt?
        Thank you

Comment

8wt or 9wt? Thank you

Comment

If you describe the 8wt rod you bought (brand, model, flex rating of Orvis), folks might be better able to remark about over-lining. I'm sure most are going to say "Try it first!"

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Originally posted by gtfly View Post
              Plan to use deer hair bass bugs. Stick with matched 8wt or go to 9wt?
              Thank you
              Which 8wt rod do you have?

Comment

Bass fly line

I have an 8wt Cabela's Stowaway. It is a 6pc. travel rod. Moderate/fast action.

Comment

I've cast lighter Stowaways. I'd stick with 8wt line since the rod isn't a broomstick. Should be pleasant to cast.

If you have access to buddies w/8wt & 9wt outfits, borrow their reels and try their line to get a general idea how they feel.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Bass fly line

thank you...sounds like a good idea...8 wt it will be...I can always upgrade rod and line at a later date if I find it necessary. My Tu buddies have the Stowaway in 8 wt, it comes highly recommended for the price...and action for bass. Now I just have to decide which line. Seems like everyone has their wt preferences and brands. I always buy Rio and use a 6 wt on my 5 wt.
                    I am not a strong caster, and this seems to help with distance. Seeing bass lines are front loaded I did not know how much wt I could handle. thank you for the advice.

Comment

I always overline my bass rod. When I fly fish for Bass, I am usually making relatively short casts to structure and stripping it back pretty close to the rod. A Bass or clouser line one line size heavier than the rod, loads the rod with a lot less line out and makes it easier to cast short distances.

I do this with a tip flex Orvis rod and am not sure how it would work on a more moderate action rod, so I would borrow a line from someone and try it first.
                      "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority" Benjamin Franklin
                      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X