Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you keep track of line weights on your reels?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you keep track of line weights on your reels?

I thought I would always just know which line was what, but of course now I have no clue on a couple of my reels.

Going forward, I think I need to mark them somehow and wonder what methods you all use?

I just got an Orvis Access and need to set it up, will be buying extra spools for another weight as well.

Just how do you keep track of the line weights on your reels and spools?

I cut the tab off the box and put it in the reel cover. I have not found a way to actually mark the reel.
    I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton

Comment

I mark rings with a sharpie on the end of the fly line where I attach the leader. Each narrow ring (about 1/16" wide) is a line weight, and each thick ring (about 1/4" wide) denotes a 5 wt. For example: 4 thin rings = 4 wt; one thick ring + 2 thin rings = 7 wt., etc., etc.
      Last edited by sparsehackle; 11-07-11, 09:55 PM.

Comment

You can buy Scientific Angler's line that comes marked from the factory, or you can have a Nautilus FWX reel which comes with a special spot on the spool where you can write with a sharpie the weight of the line.

Comment

Small sticky label with weight of line marked on it and attached to the underside of where the reel attaches to the rod - whatever that is called!

Unicoi did that for me the last line I bought from them.
          Those sure are puurrtty stars

Comment

Most lines these days have a pre-printed sticky label, ie DT3F, WF5F, DC24' 200gr, etc. Peel that off the package and stick it on the spool somewhere out of the way.

Handy for those of us afflicted with CRS.

Comment

I have the same problem. You can weigh the front 30 feet of a line to get at its weight. There is a standard that will give you a comfort level on the older lines. http://www.common-cents.info/aftma.pdf

I print plastic labels on a Brother P-touch and stick them to an appropriate surface on the inside wall of the spool. On a Grey's reel where there was not much space, I put the labels on the inside of each spool where it fits on the spindle.

This adds some further complications. http://www.common-cents.info/part4.pdf and this is the whole piece which includes the standards chart I was looking for. http://www.common-cents.info/part1.pdf

Dam*. I think I am going to peel the wt labels off all my reels now. .
              Last edited by VPW001; 11-08-11, 08:16 AM. Reason: added links

Comment

I use different color backing.

Comment

Originally posted by kukukajoo View Post
                  I just got an Orvis Access and need to set it up, will be buying extra spools for another weight as well.
                  I like sparsehackle idea, if you can remember the code and don't cut off the end of the line for some reason. Of course, you could set up an Excel spreadsheet and keep up with it that way. The simple answer to your question is to write it on the back side of the spool since you are going to be using different spools on the same frame.
                  Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Originally posted by franklinZappa View Post
                    I use different color backing.
                    Interesting idea. Assuming you keep that color code somewhere.

I think I got small stickers with some Courtland lines in the past and put them on the back of the spool. I Like the reel foot idea until I change out the spool with a different line type and weight.

I think the line marking code idea might be good too. I guess if you cut off the line end for some reason you could always remark it.

Now, how do I mark my terminal tippet size? That is the $1M question.

I used to have some tippet that came in different colors for different sizes/wts. Long straight pieces not spooled. Stored in thin plastic tubing with a barrel swivel clip on the end. About the size of aquarium airline tubing. You could supposedly clip to your vest and keep it inside or flip it onto your back under the vest. Got old and brittle so it went away.

TH
                    "Message received, no reply"

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
                      Interesting idea. Assuming you keep that color code somewhere.
                      Remember when you had to memorize all the colors in elementary school?

ROYGBIV.

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

Red is smallest weight. Violet is largest weight.

Comment

I just put 12 wt line on all my reels.

FM
                        The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

ROYGBIV.

Woah. Thought you seemed familiar. Were you the quiet kid who sat in the back row in Physics?

That might work for 2 through 8-wt scenarios but what of 9, 10, 11, 12 or dare I say, 1-wt lines? An expanded spectrum? Do the high-end retailers sell "Taupe", "Evermint", "Mocha", "Citrus" or "Winterfrost" colored dacron backing?

TH
                          "Message received, no reply"

Comment

Those stickies you put on the reel last no time.
                            I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton

Comment

ROYGBIV.

Great idea, but what's wrong with the resistor color code? Black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, gray, white. Black is 0, white is 9. 10wt would be 20' brown, then white, 11wt red/black, etc. Even has a handy mnemonic "Bad boys r..."

You could also use the telecommunications 25 pair color code, blue, orange, green, brown, slate/white is 1-5, same colors with red is 6-10, black is 11-15. Instead of keeping 10 colors of backing on hand, you can do the job with only 8. One minor problem is having to braid the two colors of backing together, but that's trivial.

What I'm not sure about is how to code WF vs DT, type III vs VI sinking, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X