Waders: Orvis vs. Simms vs. Patagonia?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made In AMERICA!

SIMMS! There is no other choice in my book. They put the extra effort into making the best waders on the market in my opinion. The Gortex material is by far the best on the market. Its not about will my waders leak, it WHEN. ALL waders will leak over a period of time. That period of time with Simms just happens to be quite a bit longer. Look at the Simms Headwaters waders, and Simms G3s. Priced right for great quality.
    Matt Beam- General Manager/Head Guide
    Rivers Edge Outfitters

Comment

Originally posted by SlowStreamer View Post
      Shannon at Buckhead Orvis indicated that he has abused his to death and they are still holding up strong. Shannon is a salesman but not a used car salesman and I trust his advice. He also indicated that the next generation of the Pro Guides with Sonic Welds are in the testing phase.

Just my .02c
      Ha! Shannon is a TRIP!!!

Comment

Simms.

If your anything more than a 2 - 3 times a year angler.....get the simms.

Someone already mentioned that all waders will leak eventually. But the difference is long term durability. Simms break in and break down period is just flat out longer than others. Great customer service too boot.

I can't talk bad about Orvis customer service as they have always taken care of me.....but the Simms waders should keep you away from any CSR for a long time.
        Goo Goo Ga Choob!

www.rockytopanglers.com

Comment

Originally posted by RobG4 View Post

Patagonia... suffers from being a fashion statement.
          and Simms doesn't?

I like my Simms but got spoiled by Cloudveil waders. They slip on and off as though they have Teflon innards and have 4 waterproof zippered that didn't cost me $100.00 each for the priveledge of having them! I hope they never die!
          I've had too many Orvis waders but only because their warranty was so good. That was years ago when all breathable waders were in their infancy and all breathable waders leaked... even Simms. After a while I just asked for my money back from Orvis and bought Simms. I have two pair of Simms that serve me well but when the 'G' series came out in the prices they asked I lost interest in Simms. Zippers don't cost $300.00 to put on any waders I would ever own. Oh, and Simms makes ladies clothes and expensive T-Shirts too, just like Orvis!
          If my Cloudveils ever give up the ghost I think my next pair will be Patagonia. Patagonia has always had a good guarentee and definately knows how to make clothing that is built right for the specific uses intended. My original SST jacket was so well designed that Simms had to clone it! My Patagonia foul weather gear allowed me to cinch out any weather yet allowed for good peripheral vision and great freedom of movement, just like the SST jackets. I have no doubt at all that Patagonia has figured out by now what is needed to make a great pair of waders in every respect. I just have to watch for them to change the color of the lining or something like that to get them at 50% off!

Comment

We're all fans of our choices I guess. Shannon down sold me on the Sonic Seam travel waders saying he wanted me to have the best technology they offered. Have fished them two to three times a week for a year and the only leak was when I hooked a Bugger into the leg. I've fallen to my knees on gravel and scraped many a rock. Find the weight fine for our weather in GA and the fit and comfort are fine. I like the way they pack down to almost nothing. I also own Simms' products which I am happy to rave over (that is some wading staff - Shannon again, "The only thing that could be better about that staff is if it said Orvis on it." ) and there's probably some Patagonia around somewhere. All good recommendations based on considerations of sales, price and service. I just recommend going to a store and trying each of them on, happy is what works for you.

Comment

Don't buy orvis, both me and other guys have had serious issues with them leaking like crazy. (I was given a used pair which had a few leaks those have been long since patch, but it seems like for everyone I patch two or three more develope) I have heard great things about both simms and redington waders.
              Thank you, dear God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough. Thank you for the rain. And for the chance to wake up in three hours and go fishing: I thank you for that now, because I won't feel so thankful then. - Garrison Keillor

Team Georgia, Competitive Fly Fishing
              http://flyfishingteamgeorgia.webs.com/
              https://www.facebook.com/Teamgeorgiacff/

Comment

Based on a few years of reading posts just like this one, my next pair of waders will be Simms. I have some of their other gear and I've been pleased with the quality.
                "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

~by Chuck Clark~

Comment

I've seen some very good reviews for OS Systems waders. Strongly considering them for my next set. They are 169 for the non-breathable "travel" model, which are supposed to be extremely tough. The breathable model is quite expensive, though.

Comment

Working...
                  X