Gloves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloves

So, I am planning to do some serious fishing this winter. I do a pretty good job of keeping my core warm, but I have been out twice in the last 3 days in some serious cold weather, and my hands always freeze up. I'm talking to the point that I can't feel them, can barely move them, and it's very difficult to tie on flies. What kind of gloves do you all use/recommend?

Hoochbuster/Gabe (Champion of all Champions, even over Rscott, I think we should have a spanking RScott party at the Tilted Kilt) had some cool looking gloves last week at the Gold Cup. They looked like the perfect glove for cold weather. I'm thinking Gabe get's a chance to try many different products and form opinions. Send Gabe/Hoochbuster a pm.

I use the half finger wool and neoprene. There is no feel with neoprene.

But, let me offer this. Everyone knows the hot hands packets? Wear a large wrist band (like tennis) and pack 2 of these in the wrist band on your wrist, it heats the blood flowing to your fingers.

Comment

Remoh is cold blooded so no need of any type of gloves for him

I like to fish with the SIMMS Windstopper Fold Over Mitts. They allow you to fish fingerless until you need to cover up in the cold wind. It is best to have a fleece hand warmer in your waders as gloves tend to eventually get wet...that being said it is tough to beat those SIMMS Mitts.

Comment

Hank I think that was what Gabe was wearing too. I'm sure that's good stuff. Members take note. I love all my Simms Stuff. I just got a new Simms vest. It works and it lasts.

I am cold blooded and I'll leave it at that. But I'm a dying generation. .Hank, your blood is thin now? How is that? Let me guess

Comment

Thanks, fellas. I'll check em out. I have been wearing some fingerless hunting gloves with a fold over mitt, and they have done a decent job, but when they get wet, it's an issue. They are not wool. I've heard wool is the way to go since they still insulate even when wet.

Comment

These are the Glacier Glove Flip-Mitts that Meaux an' I both use when we're out on the 'Hooch in cold weather.

They're neoprene so they fit purty well, but we usually power our boat up five miles from Abbott's Bridge an' drift back whilst dead driftin' or strippin' streamers rather than wadin' the shoals at Jones Bridge or in the DH. When we land a fish, it's usually usin' a net to keep our hands and gloves dry. Neoprene is good for wet suits, but once the water gits to a certain cool temp', a diver switches to a dry suit for a reason. I still haven't figgered out how to use the "biological heater" in these gloves. (Divers will understand the "Biological heater" remark. That's the main reason to NEVER buy a used wetsuit.)

If you're plannin' on gittin' your gloves wet regularly, then wool would prolly be the best way to go if you can find wool gloves that fit properly for fishin'. Wool is the only material I know of that helps you retain heat when wet, rather than wicking heat away from your body.
            Last edited by Swamp Angel; 11-26-13, 07:43 PM.
            If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Rudolph the red noised reindeer

Sissy Marcus

Comment

Well I'm just trying to be kind to the OP. I trout fish in 20*F weather. Most of you guys are sissies anyway, so how could you answer the question. Use your bare hands and suck it up is the answer. End of story. Plenty of sissy products out there, Orvis, Simm's, BPS, just put "sissy" in the search feature.

Comment

I have a pair of wool Glomitts, they've worked great for years now.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” - Aldo Leopold

Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

"Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Gloves are for sissies, otherwise I think Simms makes a glove product that may help you regain your breakfast biscuit status. Many of us will meet in Cleveland for a biscuit before fly fishing.

Comment

Someone been sipping on too much cough syrup...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Remoh View Post
                        Well I'm just trying to be kind to the OP. I trout fish in 20*F weather. Most of you guys are sissies anyway, so how could you answer the question. Use your bare hands and suck it up is the answer. End of story. Plenty of sissy products out there, Orvis, Simm's, BPS, just put "sissy" in the search feature.
                        Many days in the dead of winter you can see Remoh on the river dressed as Zed, casting his fly rod and catching fish.
                        “There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” - Aldo Leopold

Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

"Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Thanks Remoh, I know I can always count on you for an honest response But, really, this stems from more of a utility standpoint, not comfort. I can suck it up and take the cold, but when your attempting to tie a #20 hook with 7X tippet, and your fingers are stiff as a board, it becomes very difficult. If I can keep my finger at temperature sufficient to retain a good level of phalangeal dexterity, this will save me time when changing them flies, and I can get back to fishing quicker!

Comment

Originally posted by Remoh View Post
                            Sissy Marcus
                            I bet you're one of them folks that never peed in his wetsuit either.
                            Last edited by Swamp Angel; 11-26-13, 09:22 PM.
                            If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by kbrunson View Post
                              Thanks Remoh, I know I can always count on you for an honest response But, really, this stems from more of a utility standpoint, not comfort. I can suck it up and take the cold, but when your attempting to tie a #20 hook with 7X tippet, and your fingers are stiff as a board, it becomes very difficult. If I can keep my finger at temperature sufficient to retain a good level of phalangeal dexterity, this will save me time when changing them flies, and I can get back to fishing quicker!
                              Well Kyle, it sounds like you went trough Omaha to get to Marietta. Cold/Freezing is in the eye of the beholder. We didn't have high tech gloves growing up and we never worried about it. Now there's just a bunch of sissies , and they get paid to be sissies. I can tie knots in cold weather without gloves. C'mon man. I saw Rscott shivering but I believe it was the stress of Hoochbuster breathing down his neck (No Neck Nick)

Comment

Working...
                              X