Weight of LL Bean "Double L" rod?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom built or possibly repaired?
    GT Sailor, do the rest of the guides have the same color and length of wraps? It looks like a rewrap/refurbish to me.
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
      Custom built or possibly repaired?
      GT Sailor, do the rest of the guides have the same color and length of wraps? It looks like a rewrap/refurbish to me.
      Interesting. Did Bean sell a home build kit? All of the guides have the same type of thread attachments, and they are all the same color and form. Below is a picture. Both sections of the rod are the same length, and it is 8 ft rod.

20171011_193219.jpg

Comment

They just don't look like a factory job. The wraps are larger and not neat enough to have been done by a professional. I'm also curious about the rod blank. Not what I would have expected on a Double L. It's a "Mystery Rod". Those things can be priceless!
        Jimmy Harris
        Unicoi Liars Club
        Unicoi Outfitters Online Store

Comment

That is what I was thinking. The wraps look like they were done by a novice. They are way too long and the accent wrap too big. The wraps also don't appear to have any epoxy or sealer on them. But that's a beauty of a blank.
          Jimmy, how does this rod compare to yours as far as blank color and wrap color?
          BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
          Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
            That is what I was thinking. The wraps look like they were done by a novice. They are way too long and the accent wrap too big. The wraps also don't appear to have any epoxy or sealer on them. But that's a beauty of a blank.
            Jimmy, how does this rod compare to yours as far as blank color and wrap color?
            The threads do have an epoxy like coating on them, FWIW. Guess I'll just have to call Bean and see what they say. What do you mean by the "blank"? I'm a newby at all of this. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

The "blank" is the actual piece of blank tapered rod before any components are added to complete the rod (components include guides, wraps, tip, grip, reel seat, etc). A lot of people who build their own rods will buy the blank by itself and install the rest of the components to customize the finished rod to their own taste.

After looking around a bit more, I have a guess for the manufacturer of the blank - the pattern on the blank resembles the old Diamondback Classic Trout graphite series, and I think Diamondback did supply Double L rods at some point. If so, I've heard great things about the older Diamondback graphite rods..slower action than most modern graphite and pleasant to cast, but I've never actually handled one myself.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject can shed some more light on my guess...

Comment

Originally posted by GT Sailor View Post
                The threads do have an epoxy like coating on them, FWIW. Guess I'll just have to call Bean and see what they say. What do you mean by the "blank"? I'm a newby at all of this. Thanks for all the help!
                The "blank" is the rod shaft itself. If you look at your blank, the checkerboard pattern indicates a wrapping technique that I don't recall seeing in a Bean rod but I could certainly be wrong on this.

Fishingpreacher, my rod is a simple brown blank.
                Jimmy Harris
                Unicoi Liars Club
                Unicoi Outfitters Online Store

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
                  The "blank" is the rod shaft itself. If you look at your blank, the checkerboard pattern indicates a wrapping technique that I don't recall seeing in a Bean rod but I could certainly be wrong on this.

Fishingpreacher, my rod is a simple brown blank.
                  Got it! Thanks all for the input, instruction, and advice. Very helpful for fingerling like me! I'm going to look around online for the Diamondback and see if I can find any other rods like this one somewhere. Any idea when in general they started making blanks (my new word of the day) out of graphite?

Comment

Found the quote below on another forum from 2013. It appears that Daimondback may have been making rods for LL Bean as far back as the 90's before being bought by Courtland.

Speaking of this Diamondback 7034, I also have an older LL Bean Double L rod that is made on the exact same blank as the Diamondback 7034, except it has a green finish over the diamond braid instead of a clear finish. Same spigot ferrules. Says "7034" right above the grip. These are sweet little rods for graphite. My Double L is undoubtedly a Diamondback, and I handled a friend's Double L once that was also the green diamond braid blank (8656, 8'6" 5/6wt 4pc).

Comment

Working...
                    X