Weight of LL Bean "Double L" rod?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight of LL Bean "Double L" rod?

I recently inherited a very nice LL Bean "Double L" two piece fly rod. I do not know how old it is, but it appears to be carbon fiber or fiberglass. I do not see any wt ratings marked on the rod, and it did not come with a reel or line, so I really don't know what weight line to get for this rod. Any suggestions on how to figure this out?

With nothing else to go by, I would string it up with a 6 weight line and see how it responds and then go from there.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
      With nothing else to go by, I would string it up with a 6 weight line and see how it responds and then go from there.
      Yep. If it is a fiberglass rod, it will feel heavy in your hand and will be a slower action than you are accustomed to. A 6wt was sort of a standard weight for 'glass rods. Go up and down on line weights until you find a good fit and feel.
      BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
      Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

I agree - most likely 6wt if glass. For glass, I prefer a DT line instead of WF because a DT loads the rod more consistently. I have 4 and 6 wt DT lines on my most commonly used reels since I fish glass almost exclusively. If you'd like to meet up on the Hooch and try them out on your rod, send me a PM.

If you can post photos of the rod, I may be able to narrow down the weight and possibly the manufacturer, as LL Bean used blanks from several companies through the years.

Comment

I expect any fly shop will be happy to let you cast it with different weight lines that they use for customers to try out rods, especially if you're planning to buy a line after you make your decision.

- Milton

Comment

LL Bean has great customer service. Call their fly shop, or department. If there are any markings on it at all, they can help you out. Or perhaps roughly when it was purchased.
            I had a similar situation, and found out I had a 9 wt Rod. They went to a lot of trouble for me. So much so that I bought a reel for it from them.
            Donít know the number, but it is probably a toll free call.
            IIWFWTIWRTW

Comment

Wow - thanks everyone for the great advice. I just started fly fishing over a year ago and really enjoy it. I only have a 5wt rod/FW line at the moment, but would love to meet up some time to do some testing.

Great suggestions; head to the fly shop, as well as to give LL Bean a call. Will probably do all of the above.

I'll try to take some pictures and post them.

Thanks again!! You guys are great!

Comment

As already mentioned, LL Bean pays other rod makers to make the rods they sell. If it is an old fiberglass rod (which I am betting it is), then there is a decent chance it might be a Phillipson made glass rod. If true, it would definitely be worth hanging on to. Phillipson made some great bamboo and glass rods in their day.

I can't wait to see pictures of this rod!
                Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                Simple Goat Herder
                Former NGTO President
                Hall of Fame Member

Comment

OK, here is my attempt at posting some pics of the rod.
                  20171011_193118.jpg
                  20171011_193146.jpg
                  20171011_193322.jpg

Comment

Very interesting...Looks like graphite, and I'd guess in the 5-7 wt range judging by the design and taper. I wish I could be more helpful, but that's my best guess because I'm more familiar with the older Double L glass rods.

I like Crawfish's suggestion to get in touch with LL Bean - maybe even send pictures to them. Their customer service has always been top notch in my experience. If you get in touch with Bean, be sure to provide the length of the rod, since Double L's are offered in limited lengths per weight class. Either way, the Double L's have a history of being quality rods, so I would find a way to put some fish on it..I'm sure it's a nice rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke Of Hooch View Post
                      Very interesting...Looks like graphite, and I'd guess in the 5-7 wt range judging by the design and taper. I wish I could be more helpful, but that's my best guess because I'm more familiar with the older Double L glass rods.

I like Crawfish's suggestion to get in touch with LL Bean - maybe even send pictures to them. Their customer service has always been top notch in my experience. If you get in touch with Bean, be sure to provide the length of the rod, since Double L's are offered in limited lengths per weight class. Either way, the Double L's have a history of being quality rods, so I would find a way to put some fish on it..I'm sure it's a nice rod.
                      Thanks Duke. I'm hoping to get on the river with it soon. I may just put my 5wt line on it and see what it does.

Comment

The rod size should be printed, in very small letters, right in front of the hook keeper at the top of the grip. I had to take mine outside where there's lots of sunlight and, of course, put my strongest reading glasses on. My Double L, which was the very first good fly rod I ever purchased way back in the middle 80's, is an "8056". An 8' 5 or 6 wt. The blank used in my rod is a Fisher.
                        Attached Files
                        Jimmy Harris
                        Unicoi Liars Club
                        Unicoi Outfitters Online Store

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
                          The rod size should be printed, in very small letters, right in front of the hook keeper at the top of the grip. I had to take mine outside where there's lots of sunlight and, of course, put my strongest reading glasses on. My Double L, which was the very first good fly rod I ever purchased way back in the middle 80's, is an "8056". An 8' 5 or 6 wt. The blank used in my rod is a Fisher.
                          Thanks Jimmy. I don't see that writing on my rod. My hook keeper is attached with string that is glued. Here is a pic.

20171014_150405.jpg

Comment

Doesn't look like original wraps.
                            How long is the rod and are both sections the same length?
                            If it's 8' or below, I'm with Jimmy Harris, a 5 or 6 wt.
                            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by nielson View Post
                              Doesn't look like original wraps.

I thought the same thing, Jim. Looks like a custom built rod but I don't know how they would have gotten the Bean decal for it. Also, that hook keeper isn't typically used in production rods.
                              Jimmy Harris
                              Unicoi Liars Club
                              Unicoi Outfitters Online Store

Comment

Working...
                              X