Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you carry your wading staff with you on the water?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do you carry your wading staff with you on the water?

    I just picked up a Slippery Rock wading staff with a neoprene strap to slip over your hand. I hate paying $25 for a retractor from Orvis or Cabela’s which seem to be nothing more than a strip of webbing attached to a clip.

    What do you guys use?

  • #2
    I use a Folstaf and it just has a length of para-cord which I tied to a simple carabiner which is clipped to my wading belt.
    "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by narcodog View Post
      I use a Folstaf and it just has a length of para-cord which I tied to a simple carabiner which is clipped to my wading belt.
      x2 for paracord and biner although I couldn't resist ordering the new fishpond arrowhead retractor

      Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jakkbauer View Post
        x2 for paracord and biner although I couldn't resist ordering the new fishpond arrowhead retractor

        Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        I understand this inability to resist buying stuff.

        Comment


        • #5
          I use the Folstaff (my wife and i have three of them; don't ask) which i keep tied to the handy holster sold with the staff. Once when i left it at home, in the car or somewhere other than where i was fishing, i picked up a decent piece of laurel branch someone else had conveniently cut to wading /hiking stick length and left astream, and I just stuck it in my wading belt or tossed it on the bank when not in use. That actually worked far better than i expected. So well i kept the stick for possible future use.

          For purchased staffs Folstaffs cannot be beat. i use one (assuming it is in my wader bag when i need it) every time i wade fish and i deploy it almost anytime i go in water over my shoe tops. i have gotten so accustomed to it that i can wade, hike, fish, chase fish, land fish, whatever, with only very, very liimited interference from the staff.

          Comment


          • #6
            I like the Lefty Kreuz method,
            String tied to your belt and the extended staff or one piece staff hang it over your shoulder
            Out of your way when you don’t need it instantly ready when you do .

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wayne t View Post
              I use the Folstaff (my wife and i have three of them; don't ask) which i keep tied to the handy holster sold with the staff. Once when i left it at home, in the car or somewhere other than where i was fishing, i picked up a decent piece of laurel branch someone else had conveniently cut to wading /hiking stick length and left astream, and I just stuck it in my wading belt or tossed it on the bank when not in use. That actually worked far better than i expected. So well i kept the stick for possible future use.

              For purchased staffs Folstaffs cannot be beat. i use one (assuming it is in my wader bag when i need it) every time i wade fish and i deploy it almost anytime i go in water over my shoe tops. i have gotten so accustomed to it that i can wade, hike, fish, chase fish, land fish, whatever, with only very, very liimited interference from the staff.
              Being the economically-minded angler, I really like this option and might just do this before jumping in the pea soup again. I had started to do this with a piece of downed Bamboo, but it's taking forever to dry; my boy and I were going to make a homemade cane pole out of it, but my dog chewed off a bit and shortened it significantly and it's now about the perfect length for a decent wading stick, but just needs to dry and get cane(ish)

              Comment

              Working...
              X