No announcement yet.

It's probably time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been down this road many years ago. Started out with straight prescription, then progressives. One of the best investments I ever made was a pair of prescription sunglasses. JahLive! here on the board hooked me up with a pair of Costa progressives that I still use today. Expensive, but worth every dime. But the best thing I ever did as far as eye optics was contacts. I have two different scripts, right eye is set for distance, left eye is set for close. I have a pair of flip down magnifiers for on stream use. They are especially useful in shady, low light areas. You would be surprised at how much difference a ray of sunlight makes when dealing with 6 or 7x leader and #18 hooks.

I understand your concerns with high end, high priced optics. You have only one pair of eyes. Choose wisely. Having just been through eye surgery to repair a vitreous detachment, I learned to take nothing for granted when it comes to eye care.
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

I wear contacts and bring along 3x readers I tie around my neck for knots and stuff. It works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Bboyd View Post
        I wear contacts and bring along 3x readers I tie around my neck for knots and stuff. It works great.
        2.5's or 3's for me as well Bob, works just fine even on dam sized flies
        RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

My rig
          Attached Files

Comment

T, I realized I needed readers about seven years ago. When Meaux and I geaux out fishing on the 'Hooch I wear polarized sunglasses with +2.5 bifocals to tie my flies on my line. I also use +2.5's to tie my junky, trashy, ugly flies in the basement. For regular reading, I only need +1.25. But let's face it, there are multiple magnifications for multiple uses in our old age.

Get several variations and test them out for each use. Some will be good for reading that menu at a restaurant while others will be better for tying flies.

Welcome to old age the years of wisdom.
            If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

I never liked the flip downs. You have to line up your hands with your hat at the right distance. A co-worker gave me my first pair with a note "So you can see your catch". Costco sells 3-packs of reading glasses

Comment

2.5 flip downs on my hat. 1.75 readers around my neck. Use a piece of 50# mono nail knotted onto the temples instead of buying lanyard.
                Don't like having to pull off the sunglasses and put on the readers while just doing a quick check on a fly. I didn't like the sunglasses with magnifiers built in, especially wading down at the dam.
                These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it.
                -- Dick Blalock

Comment

Big T..ONE go get the prescriptions glasses and get the verilux. That stuff works great for night vision, really reduces the glare.
                  Easyclip frames ....find them get them. the polaroid sunglasses are magnetic and clip onto your regular glasses. This is my route.
                  I need a 2.25 set of readers...good luck finding them.
                  Getting old ain't for whimps....will

Comment

Lighted Readers

Foster Grant makes readers with built in lights, up to 2.75 magnification. They have two models and the Liberty version is the smaller lense w/lower profile. They are not waterproof.

https://fostergrant.com/store/readin...es/light-specs

Comment

Working...
                    X