Car top Fly Rod carrier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car top Fly Rod carrier

Does anyone have a suggestion on a car top carrier for my fly rods?

Car top Fly Rod carrier

Iíll vouch for rod vaults. Keep an eye out on here for somebody selling one used. Both myself and ferrulewax have bought them from people on here for a good price. There are other options out there as well. And you could always make one yourself, Iíve seen some nice homemade ones around.
    Last edited by JHexom; 02-16-18, 01:09 AM.

Comment

yeah, the denver outfitters rod vaults are the way to go. Also check out big sky rod boxes. Very nice boxes, but at a steep price.
      Jackson Dockery
      sigpic
      My Instagram
      Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

I'm a third vote for the rod vault by Denver Outfitters. It locks up nice and then it also locks to the rack so there is little chance of anyone stealing them.

Comment

It Depends

It depends on what you are driving and how often you are going to travel with rods rigged & ready. Sedans, trucks, SUV, mule train, etc. Twice a year or twice a week, etc. If it's a big SUV, I have seen some great simple rigs by stringing a bungee cord across the back near the roof and a companion bungee between the back seat coat hanger or "aw-$h1t" grab handles.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
            It depends on what you are driving and how often you are going to travel with rods rigged & ready. Sedans, trucks, SUV, mule train, etc. Twice a year or twice a week, etc. If it's a big SUV, I have seen some great simple rigs by stringing a bungee cord across the back near the roof and a companion bungee between the back seat coat hanger or "aw-$h1t" grab handles.
            I go 2/3 times a week. I already have the bungee rig on the back of my suv but it bounces too much for my liking... Especially with my 2wt rod. I will look into the vaults noted..

Thanks.

Joe

Comment

Bouncing 2wt

Aha! The bouncing 2 wt suggests you are banging your way up rutted USFS roads in 4 wheel drive and turning the beer in the cooler to foam! Actually, one thing I neglected to mention is where we go fishing has considerations to take into account. Smooth roads to paved parking lots is one thing, chasing brookies in the back woods is quite another! 8- )

Comment

If you go with the rod vault be wary of when they tell you it'll ship. I ordered mine in August and was told it would arrive in October and then December and now they are saying defiantly before April. The company that makes them just got bought out so hopefully they can fix their problems.
                "The quintessence of learning is doing"-Mel Krieger

Comment

I can vouch for the Rod Vault. I got my first one - when it was Titan Rod Vault and Paul Borq was owner of product. I haven't cleaned mine up from being all stickered up - to put on my new Subaru and I'm missing it. Warmer weather is getting me motivated to get it done soon.

I am getting ready to place an order for a custom sized one to accommodate my 11ft rods.

Denver River Outfitters bought out Titan Rod Vault. Their business plan is to bring back all the manufacturing process and parts in China, back to the US. It's been a much longer process than they had anticipated.

I got to know the DRO folks pretty well when I was able to get a donation of a Rod Vault for Georgia Women Fly Fishers at the 2017 Fly Fishing Show - Atlanta.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

Comment

They got purchased again.

"The quintessence of learning is doing"-Mel Krieger

Comment

Thanks for the update. Sounds like this will have a direct impact on my plans.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

Comment

Good luck, actually getting one, they are backordered for over 12 months
                        "Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly."
                        ~John Gierach~

Trophies are relative

Comment

A guy I know from another BB made rod holders out of pvc pipe and fashioned them to look like missiles. Red bullet noses and fins, they look cool and worked for a trip from Ohio to Idaho and back.
                          Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Originally posted by jkwolek1971 View Post
                            Does anyone have a suggestion on a car top carrier for my fly rods?
                            Yes, DO NOT BUY A FLY ROD VAULT UNLESS YOU WANT BROKEN TIPS!!! You will break rod tips. They are a very poor design. Check out the Big Sky Fly Rod Box. Itís all metal construction with a hinges top and foam on the inside everywhere to protect your investments. Made of metal but still light enough to take on and off of a vehicle.
                            http://www.flyrodbox.com
                            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                            -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
                            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                            -PH

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
                              Yes, DO NOT BUY A FLY ROD VAULT UNLESS YOU WANT BROKEN TIPS!!! You will break rod tips. They are a very poor design. Check out the Big Sky Fly Rod Box. Itís all metal construction with a hinges top and foam on the inside everywhere to protect your investments. Made of metal but still light enough to take on and off of a vehicle.
                              http://www.flyrodbox.com
                              What about the design do you not like? I will admit, I have broken one rod tip in my rod box, but it was entirely my own fault when it happened. As I was pulling the rod from the vault, I had about the last foot still in the vault when I dropped the rod, cleanly snapping the last foot of of the rod. However I can't blame the design for this. What about the design haven't you liked?
                              Jackson Dockery
                              sigpic
                              My Instagram
                              Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

Working...
                              X