Thoughts on waders for kids?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on waders for kids?

My son is 9 and I'm thinking of getting him a pair of waders. They won't get heavy use but I'd love it if they'd still be around for my daughter to grow into.

For those of you with experience with kids and waders, do you have any tips on neoprene/breathable, bootfoot/sockfoot, brand, etc?

Thanks in advance.

purchased for my guys a pair of cheap Magellan breathable sock foot. Didn't consider the other options. They don't get alot of use as more often they wet wade.... They have worked great but three things I wish they had.
    -gravel guards
    -waterproof pocket
    -draw string at the top to provide support/backup to the wading belt.

I found that fitting scrawny teenagers around the chest/waist is more difficult that sizing waders for their fat old man.

Comment

Check with Splatek on this. He bought his son Spencer waders and he is 8.

Comment

I wish I had a pair to give you but my kids (now adults) waders are probably on their third or fourth owner by now. Kids wader are not going to fit well for most of their use. Please make sure when the waders are big that the kids have one, and better two, wader or other belts securely strapped around them. Baggy waders can easily fill with water, even by bending down, imperilling a child.

Comment

I went cheap Bass pro brand when I could get them on sale, still set me back about $60-70. I would say err on the side of spending less, knowing that even when they get worn, they will be fallen in, scraped, my boy doesn't like to wear boots, so the foot is likely to tear, etc.

That, OR, start conditioning him young to wet wade with the likes of Big T. That's where we are currently. He really, really, really doesn't like the feel of the compression of water on the waders on his skin, and the places we fish (NoGA small streams, the smokies) are usually small enough to warrant a good wet wade, warmed up by a campfire.

One thing I will say: If you go boot foot, and they are rubber, gorilla glue some felt on those bad boys! A young kid that slips and hurts them self in the stream might not ever want to come back!

Comment

I went the Cabelas route. Oldest wore them for years, the as my younger son grew into them I got a few more years out of them. Needless to say I became an expert at finding and patching holes. Best $50-75 bucks I ever spent.

Got the breathable felt boot foot Three Forks. Now I originally purchased 15 years ago so I’m not sure if quality is still the same.
            I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

What kind of felt would you use (ie where do you buy it) if you're going to modify your boots? I was thinking of doing the same to an old pair of tennis shoes for wet wading.

Comment

I started putting my son in an ice bath when he was an infant to condition him to wet wade so we didn't have to spend the money on waders.
                http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                  Simple Goat Herder
                  Former NGTO President
                  Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    I started putting my son in an ice bath when he was an infant to condition him to wet wade so we didn't have to spend the money on waders.
                    I'll tell him you said that. He recognized you at the Fling from one of the Good Buddies Fly Fishing videos. That was about the only thing he felt the need to tell his sister about after.

Comment

DSC00928.JPG I put my niece in a pair of waders at age 9 she is 11 now and still using the same pair but she does not go as much as I do

Comment

$0.02

For most kids, wet wading is a guilty pleasure! Plan on that for warmer weather.

Especially if you have a second child coming along, I recommend neoprene boot foot waders for use in cooler temps. They are simpler to wear and warmer than stocking foot waders.

An option for neoprene is Cabela's (Bass Pro) Three Forks felt-soled Bootfoot waders.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fish...3.uts?slotId=1

I have the grown-up version.....these things wear like iron for $60.

Comment

Brain fart.

Buy top quality wool socks (merino wool is tops) for the child, and make certain that the footgear is not too tight

Comment

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the thoughts

Comment

Working...
                            X