No announcement yet.

mad river synergy 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe I missed this post. I've been fishing out of my Synergy 12 for 3 hard years and consider it a great boat. I've had it on multiple rivers, big lakes, and the salt without problems. I'll admit, I got the boat because it was available cheap and local and would do the job. I'm not the type to blather on about gear; I buy it and I beat the crap out of it catching fish, and I don't put a lot of tedious thought into all the bajillions of better options available to the truly informed consumer.

It does have shortcomings. At 200 lb (which is about what I weigh), you won't be able to comfortably stand in it. Because it doesn't bail, water accumulates. On big water and rough days I carry a hand-operated bilge pump. I used this once in over a hundred trips, on a day with steady 1.5-2' chop on Hartwell. My partner that day was in a Native U12, was a lot lighter than me, and was taking waves over the bow just a frequently as I was. Pretty heavy at 60 lbs, but not unmanageable.

The gear nets that come with are pretty good. Contrary to what some have said, you can pack a lot in the open compartments of this boat. I've done at least 5 overnight trips in mine. I can roll mine and get back in with about 3" of water in the cockpit--even without a pump, this will leave you light enough and dry enough to paddle to safety. This is different than my experiences in standard canoes. Drier, especially for a 200 lb guy, than many SOT. In normal conditions the only water in your boat comes from paddle drip. I carry a sponge which I use every few hours if I'm paddling a lot, and end many days of fishing with a completely dry butt.

It'll work and it'll fish. If you can find a better boat conveniently in your price range, great. But don't be afraid to get this boat. It is a great fishing boat.

G

Comment

I have not been able to find a synergy to test around here. No one seams to carry them anymore. I did go to "The Outside World" and test paddle the Native U12 and the Commander 120. It was a really tough call, but I have decided to get the Commander. The small details on the Commander are what sold me. The bow and stern handles are more padded "beefier", there was more knee and elbow padding, the super comfortable seat and the way it can slide forward or slide back and stow under the Captains seat. I also think the seat sits up a little higher and since I am height challenged, it made paddling a little easier. I plan on getting it when I sell the guns I posted in the Swap thread. If they don't sell this week I plan on taking them to the gun show this weekend.

The real problem I have now is finding a rack that will work with the soft bed cover on my truck. I have a four door Nissan Titan so if any one has any ideas let me know.

Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Clintb2015 View Post

The real problem I have now is finding a rack that will work with the soft bed cover on my truck. I have a four door Nissan Titan so if any one has any ideas let me know.
        Drop a bed extender into the hitch, lower the tailgate and off you go (after straping down the boat of course).

Comment

I have the mad river synergy and love it I am six feet 200 pounds, It handles
          very good from lakes to class 3 whitewater. Improved seat design on new onesmakes for infinite adjustments. Mad river has a lifetime warranty and
          customer service is great. My firt synergy was two years old when I noticed
          a strange looking defect on the bottom. Barret at GO WITH THE FLOW
          took a picture and emailed to mad river, I had a new boat within a couple
          of days.
          Kudos to the brothers at G***and Mad river.
          Catch the energy
          Release the potential

Comment

Bfish, the problem with that is that I need to use the room in the bed, under the cover, to store stuff when I travel. Since I have all the seats taken up in the cab with people and car seats, the only place I have to put cargo is in the back. I really need to put it overhead if I can. If I can't figure something out though the bed extender is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Clintb2015 View Post
              I really need to put it overhead if I can.
              Yakima/Thule surely make racks for the roof. Being 4-doors you should have plenty of spread. Rackhaus.com and others have guides to tell you bases and shims work with which vehicles.

Comment

You can also put the bed extender up to roof level (it can go out or up) and then get a bar on the roof. Do a search on bed extenders and you'll see what i mean.

Comment

I would really like to use the Yakima or Thule rack on the roof, but neither company makes a tower that will fit on the door jam and there is no rain gutter. The only thing to do is a custom install where they drill holes in the roof and mount a track. I don't really want to drill holes in the roof if there is a better solution. I don't even know of place that will do the install. A guy I work with welds as a side job and he said he would make me a ract that fits in the stake post on the bed rails and do it for the cost of materials. So that may be my best and cheapest solution.

Comment

The custom rack sounds like a plan.

I load my U-12 and Ride by myself onto my Yakima rack, and I'm not sure I'd want to try the bed extender/roof mount. Here's my thinking. It's not a problem to put one end of the craft on the back bar, then pick up the other end and shove. But there comes a point when you're shoving the thing on the rack, just past the center of gravity, that you really don't have much control. It's a combination of leverage, and the fact that by that point, you've raised your end to lower the other end. It's basically a controlled fall, all you're doing is guiding it. Optimum placement of the supports is gonna be a couple of inches less than half the length of the vessel.

JMHO, the extra 10 lbs of the Ride when it's 7' off the ground and just past the center of gravity is huge compared to the U-12.

Comment

Thanks ESL hope the new shop tool is working out good. Any questions about it feel free to give me a call.

Comment