mad river synergy 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mad river synergy 12

Looking at getting my first yak. This one caught my eye. Any thougts about it or advice. I'm 5'6" and 200lbs. I will mostly use it on the rivers around here and some lakes/ponds with the occasional trip to the coast for some inshore fishing. Anyone have one of these?

that is a nice looking boat, and it resembles a Native Ultimate. Every site I looked to for a review said it was sold out so they must be pretty good litle boats or either such a good deal people are giving them a shot. I think it looks like it will do what you want, but take that from a guy that has hever fished from a kayak before (but I will soon).
    Far better it is to dare mighty things to win glorious triumphs even though checkered with failure, than to take ranks with those poor spirits who never enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Comment

Looks a lot like the Native. Check with 01pilot and see how he likes his. It's a neat looking craft.
      tracy

"Everyone ought to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

Comment

You might as well be in a canoe. It has no scupper holes. It has no real inside storage. They hype it as "if you can't decide between a canoe or a kayak get the best of both worlds.". What you actually get is none of the best qualities of either.
        I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton

Comment

I'm with RP on that boat.

The reasons Sierra Trading Post sells things for 29% off are NOT always good..

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2...anoe-Solo.html

Comment

Originally posted by Riverpirate View Post
            You might as well be in a canoe. It has no scupper holes. It has no real inside storage. They hype it as "if you can't decide between a canoe or a kayak get the best of both worlds.". What you actually get is none of the best qualities of either.
            Well stated

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. I would like to hear what 01pilot has to say about his. MM the ones at sierra are 2nds with cosmetic blemishes. Add the shiping cost of 125 to that and you can buy a new one at Go With The Flow. Price is a little high for a blem.

Comment

I've got a Native U-12, and other than being approximately the same color, made of plastic, and not self-baling, there isn't much the two craft share in common.

The U-12 has more room, a super comfy seat, an open cockpit, and is a couple of pounds lighter.

I'm very happy with my Native U-12, but I bought mine a few years ago, when they included the drop down skeg, and sold for a couple of hundred $ less.

Comment

Checked out a WS Commander today at Go With the Flow. Looked nice and is on sale this week. Looks real stable, but a little heavy to unload/load. Also looked at an Old Town Vapor Angler 12 footer. Looked pretty good and had some nice features. Anyone have or have used either of those boats. Any Pros or cons about them.

Comment

I have a Heritage sit in yak similar to the Vapor. While it's great for ponds, lakes and class 1 rivers you will be happier with a sit on top model. A lot more versatile for the hooch and similar rivers and could be used in the salt as well. With the sit on top you will have many seating options like legs over the side, side saddle, etc. With the sit in yak you don't have those options and you can get uncomfortable after a while. It's a lot easier to get in and out of a sit on top on the water when you want to get out and fish a shoal areas.
                    tracy

"Everyone ought to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

Comment

Thanks Tracy, that makes alot of sense about getting in and out to wade etc. I really want something that I can stand in. I would prefer something without out riggers, but I have not rulled them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Clintb2015 View Post
                        Looking at getting my first yak. This one caught my eye. Any thougts about it or advice. I'm 5'6" and 200lbs. I will mostly use it on the rivers around here and some lakes/ponds with the occasional trip to the coast for some inshore fishing. Anyone have one of these?
                        Checked out a WS Commander today at Go With the Flow. Looked nice and is on sale this week. Looks real stable, but a little heavy to unload/load. Also looked at an Old Town Vapor Angler 12 footer. Looked pretty good and had some nice features. Anyone have or have used either of those boats. Any Pros or cons about them.
                        Thanks Tracy, that makes alot of sense about getting in and out to wade etc. I really want something that I can stand in. I would prefer something without out riggers, but I have not rulled them out.
                        In my opinion, the Commander is a great vessel for the fishing that I do in rivers, lakes, and ponds. I know of guides that use them for inshore saltwater fishing as well. Also, I can easily stand and fish from it.

That said, you should definitely demo one for yourself. I'm 8" taller and about 50lbs less, so my opinion of the boat could be completely different than yours after you try it out. Notice that I've repeatedly underlined 'opinion' in this post. You are the final judge of what boat works best for you and what you want to do with your boat.

A couple things I've learned from buying and using two completely different kayaks: NO kayak is perfect for all conditions or people AND make sure you take personal opinions of different boats with a grain of salt. I would have missed out on a great boat that accomplishes just want it to if I had taken bad feedback I got (mind you the vast majority of reviews of the Commander everywhere on the internet are positive) regarding the Commander to the bank and never tried it out for myself.

Some more details regarding the Commander are here: http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ight=commander
                        Last edited by Brewski; 07-15-10, 01:11 PM.

Comment

If you want a canoe like the commander you might look at the Old Town Guide 119. 350.00 at Dicks and weighs only 43 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Riverpirate View Post
                            If you want a canoe like the commander you might look at the Old Town Guide 119. 350.00 at Dicks and weighs only 43 lbs.
                            I thought we've been over this before.. the Commander is not a canoe! For one thing, the Commander has pontoons that make the hull stable enough for standing in...which Clint mentioned is a requirement.

I agree though that the Old Town Guide is a great canoe for the money if you want a canoe and it meets your needs. Try them both.

Comment

OK then the Hybride Guide is stable enough to stand in as well. But what ever you want to call it is fine with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X