Proper HP for the Hooch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper HP for the Hooch?

What do you all consider an adequate outboard HP to mount on a Gheenoe or Riverhawk for running the 'Hooch? I'm not trying to break a speed record, but would like to make moderate headway up river if at all possible...

I know that even when the boat is fully loaded, a 25hp will make a Gheenoe fly. Is 8hp sufficient?

Haven't bought the boat yet, but trying to build the parameters before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for the help!

Zack over at Itenerant Angler had some pretty interesting posts about work he has done on his boat. I don't use that type of boat, but I found it to be very informative.
    Last edited by FairWeatherFisherman; 07-22-13, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Are you looking at a 13, 15' 4", or something like a classic or LT 25? 8 hp is a great match for a 15 And will push it up to 19 mph. I had an 8 on mine and enjoyed it a lot. Sipped gas too. If you move up to a classic or LT I would go 15. Same weight as a 9.9. If you want to get a 13, a 6 hp does well and is as high as I would go. If you want to max speed, bump those up by one class. 15 on the 15' 4" and 25 on the Classic. You can jump up on the 13, but I wouldn't until you get a feel for the boat.

I would also recommend that you look at customgheenoe.com. If it has been asked, it has been asked there.
      Fly Fisherman - Part Entomologist, Part Meteorologist, Part Ichthyologist, Part Hydrologist, All Liar.

Comment

Lahk DD F said, it depends upon 'zackly which model Gheenoe or RiverHawk you're a-runnin'. Mah firstest Gheenoe was a 15'-4" High Sider with an 8HP Evinrude. With Meaux an' me both aboard, we could git 19.2 MPH out of it on smooth water. That ain't bad fer an 8HP. A year later, we got ourse'fs a Gheenoe LT-15, rated fer a 25HP motor. We used the 8HP to push her around fer about a month, 'til we saved a bit fer a 25HP that was set up fer remote steerin'. The 8HP pushed us raht along at a fuzz better'n 18 MPH in the bigger boat an' I wish I kept it now on account of the 10HP limit on motor size allowed in the Okefenokee.

When I'm a-runnin' solo in the LT-15 these days, I can git up to about 30-something, but loaded with gear an' another person, 26 to 27 is about what she can do.

If you'd lahk a bit of speed, an' your bateau is rated for it, go ahead an' git a 25HP. But, if'n you're jes' a-lookin' fer an affordable, sufficient motor to get around on the river, 8HP is plenny good. As a matter of fact, in regards to motor size limitations on some of the other waters that may appeal to your inner explorer, a motor between 8 an' 10HP would give you plenny of power for the 'Hooch, as well as afford you ample opportunities to go an' 'splore nigh on ev'ry watery route in the state where gasoline motors are allowed.
        If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

I will say that I considered a 25 for my skiff (not a Gheenoe) & might have gone that way except, for whatever reason, I noted a significant weight gain on Hondas and Yamahas when you went from 20 to 25 HP. That scared me back to a 15, but now I wish I had gotten a 20. But it is sure helpful having Jakal & Swamp Angel clearing a path through the logs for us slower craft. (I say that after smacking a sizable log at speed on Saturday at Bull Sluice...).

Comment

Originally posted by Trouty Mouth View Post
            it is sure helpful having Jakal & Swamp Angel clearing a path through the logs for us slower craft.
            Trouty, you ain't 'zackly moseyin' with that 15HP on your stern! (I have some video footage of you runnin' at what appears to be approaching a Mach number. Of course, it maht jes' be the angle at which the footage was taken, but still. . .)

Now, pllwft, as fer the weight gain in motor sizes, it really is significant in the newer 4-stroke motors, but if'n you can find a two-stroke (or "two-smoke" as some of us call 'em), you'll find they'll give you a bit more top end speed since they're lighter than the four-strokes, an' their HP is calculated fer the output at the propeller as opposed to the HP at the engine head.

Again, though, fer the sake of economy, sufficiency, places you can make use of it, an' now excess weight added to the transom, an 8HP to 10HP would fit the bill an' cover all your bases.
            If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Thanks ya'll, I was thinking that an 8-9.9 on a 15' would be quite alright. I drive a 680cc touring motorcycle, so I'm no speed demon!

Comment

that should do you just fine. Grab the first one you find at a good price, but it may take you a while to find it.

Good hunting,

DD F
                Fly Fisherman - Part Entomologist, Part Meteorologist, Part Ichthyologist, Part Hydrologist, All Liar.

Comment

Working...
                X