Hyde G4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyde G4

Let's hear any experiences of owners with their G4 bottom.

Glue Failure

Apparently construction adhesive was used .....Steve Hyde had told me this years ago,but I failed to believe him.
    Attached Files

Comment

How did you knock it off???
      If God did not intend for us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?
      John Cleese

www.southeasternanglers.com

Comment

It just fell off while winching onto trailer.....no damage to shoe; could be reattached if Hyde were to do so. However, I have asked they pay to remove glue & a layer of gelcoat be applied ; leaving shoe (G-4 ) off.

Comment

Never seen this before. How old is the boat?

Comment

I opted out on the G4 bottom after hearing a few horror stories; sure wish I had it...
            The guy with the yellow Hyde!

Comment

I'm assuming the bottom is HDPE. If so, chemically bonding it is really difficult. I'm surprised that they used such a poor bonding method (some Googling showed this is a pretty common problem with the G4 bottom).

My recommendation would be, assuming the part that came off if HDPE:

* Remove the old adhesive
              * Rough the bottom of the boat (glass?) with a scotchbrite pad
              * Flame treat the interfacial surface (the side that will bond to the bottom of the boat) of the HDPE. This will improve its adhesion properties.
              * Re-bond the HDPE plate to the bottom with West Marine G/Flex

Comment

I think i would stay with straight glass, for all the rivers in the southeast I don't the the extra weight is worth it. It's already a glass boat just touch it up every few years and your good to go. Now if it's a wooden boat the HDPE bottoms are necessary.
                Good luck and I hope they take care of the problem for you.
                If God did not intend for us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?
                John Cleese

www.southeasternanglers.com

Comment

Originally posted by stranahan View Post
                  I think i would stay with straight glass, for all the rivers in the southeast I don't the the extra weight is worth it. It's already a glass boat just touch it up every few years and your good to go. Now if it's a wooden boat the HDPE bottoms are necessary.
                  Good luck and I hope they take care of the problem for you.
                  Having owned a new Clackacraft 12 years ago , I totally agree.
                  I have a aluminum jet with .190 ga. with 1/8 UHMW on bottom & it was applied with proper glue. A vacuum was pulled to assure proper adhesion.... absolutely no problems in past 6 years.

Comment

Dragging up an oldie:

Any more current thoughts on Hyde's G4 bottom? Ever get the issue resolved on this one that fell off?

Comment

Working...
                    X