No announcement yet.

Drift Boat Project #3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming Along!- did you end up mostly sanding and scraping the paint or did you end up using chemicals?

Very interesting about the rubber strip-also surprised that it didn't just crumble apart while taking it off.

161 fastners- I guess there is a reason why he was know for making a good boat

Will you end up welding up a trailer for it ?

Comment

Originally posted by F.A.R.R. View Post
      Coming Along!- did you end up mostly sanding and scraping the paint or did you end up using chemicals?

Very interesting about the rubber strip-also surprised that it didn't just crumble apart while taking it off.

161 fastners- I guess there is a reason why he was know for making a good boat

Will you end up welding up a trailer for it ?
      So far I have just used the heat gun, a scraper, and a putty knife. I started sanding the port side with a DA sander on Saturday. I tried chemical stripper on the batten caps to try to expose those screws but it didn't work as well as the heat gun.

Some of the rubber did crumble but it stayed mostly intact. I'm contemplating using something like that again since it seems to have worked well. And less permanent than 5200.

No, I wont be making a trailer this time. My dad was the talent behind the last one. I just did the cutting, grinding, and grunt work. He did the engineering and welding. I'd like to get a Steve Steele trailer to keep it all in the family (and they are really, really nice trailers) but they are $2400 new. I think I'll be watching CL for a good used one.
      Then Peter said, "I'm going fishing." The disciples replied, we're going too, and they got in the boat..." John 21:3a

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Comment

Still chipping away (pardon the pun) at removing old paint. Progress is coming slowly but surely. As it turns out there are four different colors/layers of paint on this boat - a sort of sea foam/turquoisy green, a darker sort of hunter green, and then the baby blue. Then there is dark blue on a lot of the trim. In some places it looks like the green layers were removed before the blue went on, but in other places there is a lot of green under there - and it is STUBBORN. The heat gun works like magic on the baby blue but not so much on the green or the dark blue. It is bedded deeply in the grain and it is a pain. As resistant as I have been to using chemical stripper I can see that I might have to in some places.

Here are a few pics from this past week...

IMG_0174 by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

IMG_0169 by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

IMG_0170 by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

IMG_0168 by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr
        Then Peter said, "I'm going fishing." The disciples replied, we're going too, and they got in the boat..." John 21:3a

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Comment

Nice progress report Carl. I'll be watching.

Comment

Wait a minute! Am I supposed to be able to see light through my boat?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zBL8rr]

Comment

Regular steel, slot head screws.......that must have been a challenge to remove them. I suspect you will replace them with stainless phillips?
              Keith M
              Alpharetta, GA

Comment

I would look into replacing screws with torque head stainless if in your budget or just torque steel

Comment

Originally posted by Keith M View Post
                  Regular steel, slot head screws.......that must have been a challenge to remove them. I suspect you will replace them with stainless phillips?
                  IMG_0163 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/

You would think so, right? Before I started this project I would have definitely been thinking that way. Surprisingly, once I got all the paint (and in some cases bondo) out of the slots, they came out amazingly well. Especially considering this is a 50 year old boat! (+ or -) I don't know how many hundreds of screws I have removed from this thing but so far I haven't had to drill out a single one. Many are brass, some are phillips head, and most are slot head. There have only been a couple that were rusted to the point of failure. One can be seen in the picture.

Turns out that slot head screws are actually preferred in boat building when parts might have to be replaced (like gunnels and batten caps). Phillips are so hard to clean out to get a good hold of vs. a single slot. Does that make sense? Another cool thing I learned about these screws is that the shoulder shank diameter is the same diameter as the threads, effectively making a plug that fills the hole created by the threads. Check that out! Cool, right? (Sorry, i get excited about things like this.) That is what kept water out all these years. Having said that, I will probably use these silicon bronze slot heads..

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1835&familyName=%238+Bronze+Wo od+Screws+Flat+Head+Slotted

Comment

Originally posted by Warmouth View Post
                    ......the shoulder shank diameter is the same diameter as the threads, effectively making a plug that fills the hole created by the threads. Check that out! Cool, right? (Sorry, i get excited about things like this.)
                    Me too! Good stuff. Thanks for the lesson. Best to stick with what works!
                    Keith M
                    Alpharetta, GA

Comment

These guys have been my best friends over the past couple months. I'm hanging around with a pretty rough crowd.

And this is what we can do to 50 year old boat paint.

Don't mess with us.

Comment

Ha....your floor is waaaaay too clean!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

I get that a lot, Steve. My family makes fun of me about it.

Anyway, finally got the old girl flipped over for the first time. Anybody besides me curious about what is under that 1/4" plywood skid shoe?

Last edited by Warmouth; 10-17-15, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I'd be interested in the condition of the screw holes that hold down the skid shoe. I hear that can be a problem area with water weeping in and causing rot...loosening the screws. I have a plastic skid shoe on the bottom of my boat...with no problems so far. (Knocking on wood here). Of course my boat is only 17 years-old...a youngster compared to yours.
                            The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

You and me both, Drifter. I am also worried about if/how this shoe is sealed to the boat and water trapment between the shoe and the bottom.

Using UHMW on my Tatman boat was my biggest regret. I am still bitter about that stuff. It expanded and contracted so bad. Pulled the screws right out. I was repairing that stuff daily (driving more screws) when I was using the boat every day. Some day I'll have to tell you about how I eventually put a solid fiberglass, flexible bottom on that boat. But now, back to the current project...

Screws? Nossir. This thing is NAILED on baby. A whole bunch of ring shank nails. There are 28 nails along the front edge, 22 along the back edge, 56 along each chine and about a dozen along each of the other 7 frames. So about 250 places where water could get in. The shoe itself looks pretty decent though, which is encouraging. A little banged up and crumbly around the chine in the usual places but otherwise visibly solid. I kinda like this idea and will love it if the bottom isn't rotten.

But speaking of screw holes, check this out. I pulled the transom trim off and while it is pretty much shot (ends are rotted from end grain water intrusion) the screw holes and the plywood transom are about as perfect as new! Get this: the same heavy rubber that was sandwiched between the chine and the batten cap was sandwiched between the transom and the trim. I love this stuff. Wonder why it never caught on outside of Steele's shop. It obviously does a good job of sealing and is so much easier to deal with than 5200.

Here are 3,000 words worth...

The rotted trim...

The rubber gasket...

Nice and solid underneath. And look at that nice straight paint line. This stuff works!

And yes, my boat is old enough to be your boat's father. I suppose it is in some respects.
                              Last edited by Warmouth; 10-12-15, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Thank you for posting this Carl. Big Yea! Sounds like you have a piece of history there brother.

Comment

Working...
                                X