Drift Boat Project #3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
    very nice cwarmouth, you're a very confident scarfer to cut the bevel before doing the scarf. I have to allow lots of excess to find the perfect scarf within
    Thanks! So do you scarf the whole board and then mill it? What do you use to cut the scarf?
    Last edited by Warmouth; 07-19-17, 01:09 AM.
    Then Peter said, "I'm going fishing." The disciples replied, we're going too, and they got in the boat..." John 21:3a

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Comment

• Yeah I learned that trick on my chine logs, tried to mill the pieces to size then scarf together, ended up redoing it. So for example I just got my gunnels done, so for a 1.5 inch wide board I started with 2 inch wide stock. This way I could be sloppy with my scarf alignment. Then once glued I have a fairly straight 20 foot ish board that I can continually shave down each side on the table saw until its a perfectly straight board. Then make the final cut to the 1.5 inch width. In the process of cutting a little off each side I end up with a perfect glue line because it was basically inside the joint rather than the edge of it. I came up with this as I was using rough sawn 8/4 lumber so the edges I had were nowhere near smooth or flat. I made a quick 12:1 jig for my table saw, theyre all over google
      "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
      -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

• This is what I copied off google. May put some right angle braces on it net go round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"

Comment

• That makes a lot of sense and is probably a lot better than the way I am doing it. If I wasn't already done I'd probably try that.

I'm cutting to size and profile, then scribing a 6:1 pattern on the two pieces, clamping the piece in a vice, and carefully cutting on the lines using a Japanese razor saw. It is very precise. If I do get a high spot I hit it with a rasp or block plane to flatten it out. Then I lay the pieces on the bed of my compound miter saw and use it as a straight edge and clamp it down flat for glue up.

Hereís close-up detail of the first chine cap scarf after knocking down the glue squeeze-out with a paint scraper and a few passes of 60 grit by hand. Keep in mind this is a 1/2" thick piece of wood so this is really close-up. Iím sure it could be better but I am satisfied with it considering the application. There is a little gouge where that feather edge must have gotten broken off during glue-up. I might dab a little wood putty in there. Or not. The joint is hardly noticeable at 10 feet and I suspect itíll look a little better once I sand the whole strip with some 150. And I suspect itíll look a whole lot worse after a few trips on the river.

Then Peter said, "I'm going fishing." The disciples replied, we're going too, and they got in the boat..." John 21:3a

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Comment

• Those look awesome! There are a million ways to skin this cat thats for sure. I love my Japanese saw, just not as proficient with it as most.

"Stop Whining"

Comment

• Remember this stuff?

It kept the rot out of the plywood for ~50 years so I thought I'd go with it again.

Last edited by Warmouth; 07-27-17, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Hey Friends,

I was making great progress on the old gal and had her about 90% done, looking at an October 9 launch date on Henry's Fork. But... On August 9 I herniated a disc while backpacking and fishing in the Sawtooths. It was the third time on the same disc and normally it just gets better in a couple weeks. Not this time. It was definitely the most pain I have ever been in. I could not sit or lie down for 6 weeks. I resorted to sleeping on my back on the floor with my feet and legs in a chair. I'd wake up at 3:30 AM so that I could be standing by 6:30. Finally I had back surgery 3 weeks ago today. So, sadly the old girl has to wait at least a few more weeks before I can give her attention.

Comment

• Hate to hear that Carl. As a veteran of back surgery, I can literally feel your pain. Praying for your full recovery!
                  BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                  Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

• Carl, so sorry to hear about this. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Comment

• Carl, I hope you got the relief you were looking for. Stay off the oars for awhile.

Comment

• Thank you all. I appreciate it.

Comment

• Carl I'm sorry to hear about your back. Hope you get to feeling better. I want to see all that varnish in the sunshine!

"Stop Whining"

Comment

• Hello Friends. Just thought I'd post an update in case anyone is still interested in this project. In my last post I said that I had just had back surgery and it would probably be a few weeks before I could work on the boat again. Well, here it is over a year since I herniated the disc and I just got back to work on her about two weeks ago. It's been a long, painful road but I am finally able to at least lead some sort of a normal life again. Anyway, enough of all that.

The past few nights and weekends have actually been pretty productive. I was able to get the gunnels on, a knee brace made, restored the original front seat, and a few other odds and ends. But a big breakthrough is that I have actually made enough progress on hull repairs that I was able to start putting a finish on the inside of the hull. I decided on an oiled finish because it is a good choice for the arid environment where I live. Man, this old wood is so dry. In the following pics I have applied three coats of 50/50 boiled linseed oil and turpentine and so far it has just sucked into the wood within minutes. Other than turning it dark, there is no indication that there is any kind of finish on it at all. It just feels like dry wood. The rule of thumb, as i understand it, for an oil finish is once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for year, and once a year thereafter. So that is what I am going to try.

The gunnels and frames are varnished and I am going to leave the transom the way it is (with remnants of all the colors that this boat has been over the years) as a nod to its history.

Comment

• Looking good. Glad you are back in action. Those eggs in the background of your pics have to be getting pretty rotten by now.

Comment

• Looks great! I wish I'd of heard that oil saying. I just pushed the boat out in the sun for a few hours and let it get real warm then I'd oil it. After a few of those sessions it started to stay oiled. Don't forget about your chine caps!

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Working...
                                X