No announcement yet.

Towee Keel Guard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, if you're handy and just willing to do the work, you can de-rig and flip your boat and DIY with another product or just do a keel on trailer. I'm thinking about getting the stuff Todd originally put on my hull, by Wearalon and refinishing. Should cost about $250 and a few days of work. Also considering getting a line-x type of keel sprayed on as well as the bottom of the transom for banging rocks when rowing. Lots of options about for roll on armor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WadingThroughLife View Post
      Yeah, if you're handy and just willing to do the work, you can de-rig and flip your boat and DIY with another product or just do a keel on trailer. I'm thinking about getting the stuff Todd originally put on my hull, by Wearalon and refinishing. Should cost about $250 and a few days of work. Also considering getting a line-x type of keel sprayed on as well as the bottom of the transom for banging rocks when rowing. Lots of options about for roll on armor.

Link?

I need something on the nose of my riverhawk before too long. It's wearing in an area just from sliding it up on concrete boat ramps. I try to pull up on the upstream side off the ramp when I can, but now and then that isn't possible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

https://bottomcoatings.com

Probably the 2 stage kit.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryG View Post
          Link?

I need something on the nose of my riverhawk before too long. It's wearing in an area just from sliding it up on concrete boat ramps. I try to pull up on the upstream side off the ramp when I can, but now and then that isn't possible.

Jerry the wetlander stuff is supposedly pretty good but if you're worried about the abrasion on the kinda stem/keel area you may consider grinding it down and glassing in a strip of Kevlar. They sell kits for canoes or you could just order a yard of Kevlar for a few bucks and a quart kit of epoxy. However I don't think epoxy sticks to gelcoat/polyester resin so you'd have to use poly resin. I know people do it with canoes all the time so it could be worth looking into.

"I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
          -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

I just stumbled across a site, www.keeleazy.com that has some pretty cost effective peel and stick options.

Seems like 3M or someone would offer something similar for an industrial application that could be used on a keel, but if they do I haven't found it.

Comment

Huh that 25 dollar canoe kit may be worth a try.

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Needed a little bit more epoxy and was browsing my suppliers website. Thought of a keel guard for my canoe after a rocky run sunday. I'm going to do a test to see if epoxy sticks to my boat but I think I'll need polyester resin. Still, I could have a rock solid kevlar keel guard for less than 20 bucks

http://store.raka.com/wovenkevlartape-5ozsqyd.aspx

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
                  Huh that 25 dollar canoe kit may be worth a try.

Going to give this a try for the very front of the keel on my Towee. Basically just for pulling up on to ramps and beaching. Let yall know if it's terrible, haha.

I think running a strip of that kelvar down the entire keel would be sweet too. woulndt be too difficult. Any clue what kind of resin you're supposed to use with kelvar?

Comment

From what I've read it doesn't matter, just want to make sure you're using resin compatible with your hull.

"Stop Whining"

Comment

I'd be curious to hear your feedback once you get the kit installed.

It's a 2 piece or 2 layer kit according to the website. Is the base layer different material than the top layer or is it just 2 layers of the same stuff?

Comment

Just two layers of different width material. Will keep the thread updated.

Comment

Well, I can't recommend the canoe kit for the keel. I feel like I prepped the surface well, and I used the heat gun application. With the keel sitting on the trailer roller, I think there is too much constant pressure on the material, making it want to "flatten" back off the keel. I trimmed it shorter than the roller to see if it'd hold, which I suspect it would if It hadn't already separated.
                          Moral is if doing one of the Keel Eazy applications, I wouldn't adhere to anywhere the trailer will put constant pressure on the material.

Comment

Working...
                          X