Fly fishing rafts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly fishing rafts

Recently purchased land in West Jefferson, NC with the New River near by. We have floated it with canoes but have been thinking about a fishing raft setup since this river has lots of shoals and can get pretty shallow in spots. I believe a drift boat might end up dragging but could be wrong. A raft could be deflated in winter to take up less space but still the trailer would exist. Been looking at different setups available. Would love any opinions and experience from people that have ever owned them.

I've got a Hyside Mini Max that, at only 10.5 ft, rides nicely in the back of my truck. No trailer needed. I set mine up for two people, but it could fit another seat (and is rated R6). They had three of them at the NOC sale last year.

Comment

I've been fishing out of one of these quite a bit in the last year or so. I like drift boats much better but this is a great setup. NRS is good quality. Also available in a 13' model.

https://www.nrs.com/product/11419/nr...ishing-package
      Then Peter said, "I'm going fishing." The disciples replied, we're going too, and they got in the boat..." John 21:3a

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Comment

Originally posted by paulH View Post
        Recently purchased land in West Jefferson, NC with the New River near by. We have floated it with canoes but have been thinking about a fishing raft setup since this river has lots of shoals and can get pretty shallow in spots. I believe a drift boat might end up dragging but could be wrong. A raft could be deflated in winter to take up less space but still the trailer would exist. Been looking at different setups available. Would love any opinions and experience from people that have ever owned them.
        I have a Flycraft and it's perfect for shoalie skinny water and it's the perfect size for me to throw in the back of my truck by myself, no trailer needed. Only drawback is it's a two person raft with a potential for third (kid seated on the rack which is a new option they just started doing). Not sure if that fits the bill but it's a great option depending on what you are looking for.
        "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed with the things you didn't do than by the things you didů Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain, 1879

Comment

My buddy has the three person NRS and it's a great craft. But on slower shoalie water it's a dog to ferry side to side and hold a spot. I've always wondered if those fly crafts are the sports cars they claim to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
          -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Don't rule out a towee either. Little more money than a raft but not by much relative to the NRS setup

"Stop Whining"

Comment

me too

I've been in the market for a raft/boat for about a year now. This is one that has me very tempted and may suit your needs: https://smithfly.myshopify.com/products/big-shoals-raft
              The flycraft looks sweet as well.
              http://southernhighlandsflyrod.blogspot.com/

Comment

Someone posted about this a while back. It is like the small rafts you can buy and then you can order the components to make a frame. I've been pondering it but not sure how it would hold up long term. The NRS components would be top quality though.
                http://www.saturnrafts.com/12-saturn-raft-kayak.html

Comment

Great information

Comment

Originally posted by Bamajo View Post
                    Someone posted about this a while back. It is like the small rafts you can buy and then you can order the components to make a frame. I've been pondering it but not sure how it would hold up long term. The NRS components would be top quality though.

http://www.saturnrafts.com/12-saturn-raft-kayak.html

Wow if I'd have known about this I probably wouldn't have built a drifter. That is a slick setup. Throw a homemade frame on there and good probably 8? Foot oars you have a legit craft. With a trailer and sawyers you're still under 2k

"Stop Whining"

Comment

raft

I had a Saturn raft for several years. I beat it badly and bounced off sharp rocks and never got one leak in it. I was well pleased with it in every way.
                      Last edited by Troutguy; 07-07-17, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Google the 9.5 ft stealthcraft TAC raft. I am looking at a purchase, soon. Looks like an awesome solo boat. The stealthcraft FB page has several pics.

Comment

Rafts

Flycraft and smithcraft look awesome, does anyone own or know of someone or somewhere to see one up close? I have bird dogs that may or may not go on trips with us. Woulkd their feet damage a floor since all I ever owned is hard boats? Keep ideals coming and appreciate all the great info. If I purchase one will take someone smallie fishing on the New.

Comment

raft

If I were spending thousands on a small raft, I'd want it to have real welded seams like quality whitewater rafts.

If the specs say... chemically welded, it is a glued raft.
                            Last edited by Troutguy; 07-07-17, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by paulH View Post
                              Flycraft and smithcraft look awesome, does anyone own or know of someone or somewhere to see one up close? I have bird dogs that may or may not go on trips with us. Woulkd their feet damage a floor since all I ever owned is hard boats? Keep ideals coming and appreciate all the great info. If I purchase one will take someone smallie fishing on the New.

You could always rig up a floor that's supported by straps hanging from the frame. Probably just exterior ply hit it with a 1/2 inch round over and call it good

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Working...
                              X