Building drift boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fiberglass woes

I haven't been able to work on my boat much lately but i did put a second layer of cloth on it.
    It looks ok except for the transom.I left it to cure overnight.zThe transom had a lot of bubbles and the cloth looked wrinkled in a couple of places.I don't know what happened, it looked good when i left it. I scraped all the high spots down and now have exposed cloth where the bubbles were..should i cut out the exposed cloth or epoxy over it.
    Tried to post photo of the mess but photobucket wants lots of money.
    I tired fliker but no luck with them.
    Last edited by swamp; 08-01-17, 03:39 PM.

Comment

If your cloth did not get saturated you will need to take it off and put a new piece in.
      Then Peter said, "I'm going fishing." The disciples replied, we're going too, and they got in the boat..." John 21:3a

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Comment

Swamp do you have one of those fiberglass bubble buster things? I had one little spot like that where I barely hit it with the buster but I guess there was still air in there and when the epoxy got warm it expanded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
        -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

You can kinda see the spot here. I ended up just aggressively sanding it and rolling on more epoxy. However that area was mostly covered by the gunnel and is probably 5"x5"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
          -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

I was afraid you would say that warmouth. I was hoping for a easy fix.
            No troutbum, i don't have one of those bubble buster roller things,but i will
            before i do any more glassing.I scraped it down to dry cloth and cut out what
            i could and added small pieces of cloth and epoxy.I think its ok .probably add a third layer of cloth and use the bubble buster thing.

I've got one more strip of white oak to go on the outwale,two more strips of three in tape along the chines, seat, oarlocks,and anchor system.paint bottom with graphite and epoxy mix.
            The graphite deal reminds me of when my son disassembled a etch-a-sketch.
            What a mess

Comment

Are you painting the outside?
              Then Peter said, "I'm going fishing." The disciples replied, we're going too, and they got in the boat..." John 21:3a

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Comment

Originally posted by Warmouth View Post
                Are you painting the outside?
                Probably, maybe ,don't know yet.
                You see why it's taken so long for me to build this boat.
                I'm going to stain the gunnels for sure.don't like the light color
                Last edited by swamp; 08-18-17, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X