Building drift boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building drift boat

I've been wanting a small boat that i could haul in the back of my truck ,no trailer
    To mess with,and light enough for me to handle by my self . I've had the plans for paul butlers mini-mac for a long time so i finally got started building it.

That's pretty neat! Baby McKenzie! I'm jealous of your dry storage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
    -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Drift boat build

Should be ready for s gloat test in a week or so.

If you think you need 20 clamps,get 40.
      Last edited by swamp; 07-07-17, 06:27 PM. Reason: Add text

Comment

That is a really beautiful little boat!

Comment

swamp, that's a good looking boat. What's the length, width, and weight? Are you planning to haul it in a regular pickup truck bed?
          THEY TRIED TO BURY US BUT THEY DID NOT KNOW WE WERE SEEDS

Comment

Nice job, Swamp. I was all set to build the Clark Fork Drifter before I found my current project. That'll be a handy boat.
            Then Peter said, "I'm going fishing." The disciples replied, we're going too, and they got in the boat..." John 21:3a

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Comment

Hey dave, the boat is about 12 feet long,bottom width at widest point is about 43 in.,
              Widest point across gunwales is 54 in or so. finished weight is supposed to be
              around 90 lbs.
              I've got a long bed pickup so with the tailgate down the overhang should only be a couple ft.
              This is my first attempt at building a boat so
              thanks for the kind remarks.
              Last edited by swamp; 07-08-17, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                Hey dave, the boat is about 12 feet long,bottom width at widest point is about 43 in.,
                Widest point across gunwales is 54 in or so. finished weight is supposed to be
                around 90 lbs.
                I've got a long bed pickup so with the tailgate down the overhang should only be a couple ft.
                This is my first attempt at building a boat so
                thanks for the kind remarks.

Swamp what length oars do they recommend?

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Hey troutbum, designer recommend 7 1/2 foot oars.
                  i guess thats what I'll try. I've been a boat person all my life,powerboats and canoes
                  but I've never been in a drift boat,so i don't know what I'm doing

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    Hey troutbum, designer recommend 7 1/2 foot oars.

i guess thats what I'll try. I've been a boat person all my life,powerboats and canoes

but I've never been in a drift boat,so i don't know what I'm doing

Nice if you're planning on buying some check the Barkley sound ones out on fisheries supply. Or sawyer utilities. I'm with ya on not knowing

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Well, i just realized that troutbum69 and warmouth have boat projects on this forum.
                      One thing I've learned from my stitch and glue project is troutbum and warmouth
                      have some serious wood working and boatbuilding skills. Cutting those compound angles and getting a nice tight fit ,is not easy.
                      Don't have to worry about it so much with stitch and glue ,you can hide mistakes with fillets. Not so with the boats their building,you've got to know what you're doing.
                      Anyway,
                      I covered the sides on my little boat with 6oz.fiberglass cloth and
                      loosely clamped one of the outside gunwale strips on each side.
                      I'm going to let them sit there for a day or so .

Comment

Don't sell yourself short Swamp. You too have some serious boat building skills! That thing is sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by 78Dawg View Post
                          Don't sell yourself short Swamp. You too have some serious boat building skills! That thing is sweet.
                          I second that. Any project of that magnitude is commendable. I would have done a stitch and glue if I didn't find the Steele boat. And I'm not a good woodworker. I have two years invested in this project and a pile of scrap lumber from mistakes to prove it.

Looking forward to following this build.
                          Last edited by Warmouth; 07-16-17, 11:29 PM.
                          Then Peter said, "I'm going fishing." The disciples replied, we're going too, and they got in the boat..." John 21:3a

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Comment

Looks great so far man! I will be following along too. I bought a boat building book a while back about "Jordans Wood boats" and am interested in building one some day ..
                            (While I've mentioned it, so any of yall know much about "Jordan's " builds? Ate these other names you are mentioning different people/styles?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                            _yero on instagram

Comment

Swamp! That is freaking sweet! There's a reason I most of us purchase boats. Your skills are pretty far beyond simply "good."

I wanna see photos when she gets out on the water! She is looking magnificent!
                              If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X