Putting out feeler for a jet boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting out feeler for a jet boat

I am thinking about parting with my drifter in order to get a jet boat. It would make more sense for the tailwaters I fish. If anyone has any leads on a nice boat send them my way.

Would also take suggestions on new boats as well. I really like the look of hog island’s skiffs and stealthcraft’s power drifters. My current boat is a stealthcraft skiff.

Looking forward to reading this thread. I've got a big river jet boat. 20 feet with 190 bottom and 250 sport jet. I've had it 15 years now and it is good for both river and lake, but it doesn't draft shallow enough or have a slippery enough bottom to be a great small river boat. All that is to say, if I were getting an additional boat (I have a couple others - I'm better at buying them than I am at selling them) I'd have to prove to myself that the Hog wouldn't work before seriously considering another.

Comment

The other one I’ve been looking at is this innovative approach to jet foot protection. The only thing I don’t know about this one is how you would clean the grate if you injested some weeds or leaves..

http://riverroadjetboats.com/nozzle-system.html

Comment

Originally posted by FairWeatherFisherman View Post
        Ö.The only thing I donít know about this one is how you would clean the grate if you injested some weeds or leavesÖ.
        The same way one would in any other outboard jet. Throw it in reverse or tilt the motor and use a rake. The intake is what will clog, being almost 2" higher than a traditional OB jet will help some (on weeds). Also being inset on the transom, will make it easier to reach the intake grate to clean.

Comment

If you look at the hull construction section on the web page it looks like the feed for the water to feed the pump is from a hole ahead of the pump area on the bottom. That was the area I was thinking could be plugged up.

Comment

Originally posted by FairWeatherFisherman View Post
            If you look at the hull construction section on the web page it looks like the feed for the water to feed the pump is from a hole ahead of the pump area on the bottom. That was the area I was thinking could be plugged up.
            Yes this boat gets its water intake like an inboard jet. I haven't seen where they offer a stomp grate. So yes cleaning the intake would be a little more difficult than with a true outboard jet. I looked at this one online about a year ago.

Comment

I have a friend selling a 2016 Towee Rivermaster. Comes with the SRO rowing frame, oars, and Tennessee Pro Trailer, Yeti 50. Itís Cash Black and looks sharp. $6,500. He is in PA but Iím sure could arrange delivery. Then you could add a 20hp Jet.

Exact same setup I run and couldnít be happier with it. Hog Islands are nice, but for me personally, the price difference wasnít justified, they are a lot heavier and more difficult to row, and I wasnít a fan of the rod storage - or lack thereof. Not a knock against them, but if Iím spending an extra $6-$8k for it, Iíd want it to be perfect.

The Stealthcraft ATB would be my second choice after the Towee... again due to the price jump. Overall they are a very fishy setup and solid layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My buddy is thinking of selling his 1656 ccj. Shoot me a pm and I'll give you his number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Bumping this back up. Starting to look more seriously now

Comment

Working...
                  X