Putting out feeler for a jet boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting out feeler for a jet boat

I am thinking about parting with my drifter in order to get a jet boat. It would make more sense for the tailwaters I fish. If anyone has any leads on a nice boat send them my way.

Would also take suggestions on new boats as well. I really like the look of hog island’s skiffs and stealthcraft’s power drifters. My current boat is a stealthcraft skiff.

Looking forward to reading this thread. I've got a big river jet boat. 20 feet with 190 bottom and 250 sport jet. I've had it 15 years now and it is good for both river and lake, but it doesn't draft shallow enough or have a slippery enough bottom to be a great small river boat. All that is to say, if I were getting an additional boat (I have a couple others - I'm better at buying them than I am at selling them) I'd have to prove to myself that the Hog wouldn't work before seriously considering another.

Comment

The other one I’ve been looking at is this innovative approach to jet foot protection. The only thing I don’t know about this one is how you would clean the grate if you injested some weeds or leaves..

http://riverroadjetboats.com/nozzle-system.html

Comment

Originally posted by FairWeatherFisherman View Post
        Ö.The only thing I donít know about this one is how you would clean the grate if you injested some weeds or leavesÖ.
        The same way one would in any other outboard jet. Throw it in reverse or tilt the motor and use a rake. The intake is what will clog, being almost 2" higher than a traditional OB jet will help some (on weeds). Also being inset on the transom, will make it easier to reach the intake grate to clean.

Comment

If you look at the hull construction section on the web page it looks like the feed for the water to feed the pump is from a hole ahead of the pump area on the bottom. That was the area I was thinking could be plugged up.

Comment

Originally posted by FairWeatherFisherman View Post
            If you look at the hull construction section on the web page it looks like the feed for the water to feed the pump is from a hole ahead of the pump area on the bottom. That was the area I was thinking could be plugged up.
            Yes this boat gets its water intake like an inboard jet. I haven't seen where they offer a stomp grate. So yes cleaning the intake would be a little more difficult than with a true outboard jet. I looked at this one online about a year ago.

Comment

I have a friend selling a 2016 Towee Rivermaster. Comes with the SRO rowing frame, oars, and Tennessee Pro Trailer, Yeti 50. Itís Cash Black and looks sharp. $6,500. He is in PA but Iím sure could arrange delivery. Then you could add a 20hp Jet.

Exact same setup I run and couldnít be happier with it. Hog Islands are nice, but for me personally, the price difference wasnít justified, they are a lot heavier and more difficult to row, and I wasnít a fan of the rod storage - or lack thereof. Not a knock against them, but if Iím spending an extra $6-$8k for it, Iíd want it to be perfect.

The Stealthcraft ATB would be my second choice after the Towee... again due to the price jump. Overall they are a very fishy setup and solid layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My buddy is thinking of selling his 1656 ccj. Shoot me a pm and I'll give you his number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Bumping this back up. Starting to look more seriously now

Comment

@Southern Accent, does your friend in PA still have their Towee up for sale? Please let me know. Thanks!

Comment

River Road Jet Boats are the top of the line current boats that are super fishable. If I had the money thatíd be where Iíd spend it. But since Iím not and have been looking since September, Iíll give my thoughts on what Iíve learned as well as where to look to identify a candidate. Fortunately Iíve been able to fish out of eight different jets this year so Iíve been back able to compare/contrast and narrow down what I want in a jet.
                      Craigslist is a good starting point but it only covers a small area. If you want to broaden your search use Facebook marketplace as well as searchtempest.com as both have adjustable search areas. Iím not on Facebook so by default Iíve used searchtempest with phenomenal results! Some key things to look out for with a Jet are as follows...
                      1. New vs used- I learned this acronym prior to buying my jon I currently have...
                      B-break
                      O-out
                      A-another
                      T-thousand
                      New boats are great cuz they are new and donít have a lot of issues at first. Usually you have some control on the design factors or what is included in the package you are getting in some way. Big detriment though is cost.
                      This is part of my reason for going with a used rig. When speaking with the owner see if you can get the engine service records or the name of the marine shop who performed the work and try to get as comprehensive an understanding of the power plant as you can. Also donít be afraid to ask if the hull has leaks, holes, damage or has been repaired previously.
                      2. Power is key- jets have a 30% loss in power off the bat. Plan for the max amount of weight and people you can carry and if the boat doesnít get up in the 20-30mph range you are underpowered and pushing water rather than planing on it. This means you are drafting deeper in the water than the potential of what the boat can do.
                      3. UHMW plastic- ultrahard, super buoyant & self lubricating; this plastic is used on the bottom of the river road jet boats and on a couple rigs Iíve had the blessing of fishing in. There are several different methods of securing to a boat with both long cure epoxies as well as through hull fasteners. Both are recommended for security. The biggest benefit is when you hit a rock, it doesnít stop you, but allows your boat to glide & bounce over the object. You can typically find Ďregrindí UHMW sheets(4íx8í) for about 1/3 of the price of regular sheets, $350-regrind $900-new UHMW. There is zero difference between them except color and this is more about function & protecting your investment rather than aesthetics.
                      4. Tiller, stick or console steering- jet boats are about balancing the weight forward to allow you to Ďplane outí and draft in the shallowest water possible. There are jets setup to run in 1-2 INCHES of water with proper balance & power. Tiller steer may put you back too far to truly take advantage of this balance. The other disadvantage in my opinion of tiller steer is visibility.
                      Stick steer & front console style jets maximize your ability to see hazards and adjust your line accordingly. Stick steer takes some getting used too but if you think about the stick being used in the same manner with the same hand as a tiller steer itís not as bad. Stick steer also opens you up to more deck space.
                      5. Hull type- given the amount of rocks and downed timber that is prevalent throughout the East/ SE Iíd recommend aluminum over the composite hulls. The composite hulls are light and have great honeycomb design factors built into them but Aluminum is just more sturdy. Thatís my preference but choose as you will. Lots of happy boaters in both camps there.
                      Front consoles take up a bit more of a footprint spacewise but you can stand or sit to pilot the boat as well as having vertical storage and a steering wheel. Personally this is my preferred setup. It also allows you to add a fish finder for use on different bodies of water.
                      These are some of the guidelines Iíve been using in my quest for a jet boat. Currently Iím in negotiations for a really sweet used rig. You may not find one that is exactly how you want it set up so be patient and plan accordingly so you can do the upgrades you need. The boat Iím looking at needs two things IMO; the addition of the UHMW plastic and then an upgrade to a more powerful motor.
                      The first thing I plan on doing is the UHMW plastic followed by a power upgrade. Stay tuned, it could be a very interesting holiday season! Hope this helps!
                      #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                      -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
                      -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                      -PH

Comment

Great write up.

Comment

I have a hog island im thinking of selling that is sitting in storage. shoot me a message.

Comment

Originally posted by Stankbug View Post
                            I have a hog island im thinking of selling that is sitting in storage. shoot me a message.
                            Could you shoot me a pm? Having some issues on mobile sending a message with the new system

Comment

Wont allow me to. says youve exceeded your messaging

Comment

Working...
                              X