No announcement yet.

JerryG's (Jet) tiller to console conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerry, I have plenty of split loom you can have if you want it. Bright orange but it works great in commercial applications so your rig would work perfect. Also may want to think about edge protection where your cables enter the foredecking. Looking awesome man!
    #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
    -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
    -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
    -PH

Comment

Ive got the loom covered, picked up some 1/4" loom at Harbor Freight on lunch break. Planning to grommet the deck hole for sure but not sure on material. Maybe just rubber tubing although I saw some plumbing flanges at home depot that may work.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryG View Post
        Set the console on it tonight. Not sure on centering the actual console, or centering the wheel and slightly offsetting the console. I'm just bolting and not welding, so it could always be moved a little if I wanted. Still leaves plenty of room for fishing off the front deck...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
        It maybe too late for this advice, but center the console. You want your body in the center, and the wheel will go in your left hand, and the throttle in the right, so you want both offset a little, just like your body

Great job!

FM
        The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

Originally posted by fishmonger View Post
          It maybe too late for this advice, but center the console. You want your body in the center, and the wheel will go in your left hand, and the throttle in the right, so you want both offset a little, just like your body

Great job!

FM
          Thanks Mark. I did go with centered console and that left 18.5 inches on either side for pass thru. I think it will work out really well.

Comment

Loomed some wire last night, and hooked the motor up to the hose so that I could verify the throttle cable setting. Decided it was idling a little too high and made a few adjustments to set it where I was happy.

Got her out this morning and ran around a good bit. It rides alot different being in the front of the boat. Alot quieter and smoother. The steering is tight. I was a little worried it was going to pull since the tiller always wanted to pull right, but the direction the steering cable runs into the tiller tube is designed to counter the torque steering. It does, and she runs really true. You can let go of the wheel and it runs dead straight, doesnt pull one way or the other.

The visibility is crazy good and I mostly drove standing up this morning. It does feel a little uneasy at first to stand and drive, and I wore my life jacket any time the boat was under power.

On the subject of safety, I think I damaged the factory kill switch in the disassembly of the tiller handle, and just running an on off toggle switch right now. I've ordered the replacement switch that uses the safety lanyard and plan to install sometime this week when it arrives.

All in all I'm really pleased with how it all turned out. Just wish I'd done it sooner!

Comment

Looks great and I know you will more appreciate that up front visibility that you gained. Iíve thought about making my side console a front and center but just donít think itís worth it for the older prop boat.

Comment

Looks great. How did it run?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by connectionbound View Post
                  Looks great. How did it run?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
                  Im ready to get back out just to drive it around

Comment

Great job Jerry, you are going to love driving up front. Now you need a knob on your steering wheel, it will greatly enhance your control to be able to turn the wheel lock to lock quickly with one hand, so you can keep the other hand on the throttle.

FM
                    The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

I'm enjoying the heck out of this. How big is the aluminum hull you are using?

Comment

Originally posted by Bamajo View Post
                        I'm enjoying the heck out of this. How big is the aluminum hull you are using?
                        Thanks. The hull is a 1551 Excel. It was originally a duck boat with bench sides. The previous owner cut the benches out and added the casting decks and jet, so its seen a few different configurations.

Comment

Nice work it looks awesome! How do you like the throttle with no recoil? I don't think I've ever driven anything to where the throttle stays put, on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by b5fish View Post
                            Nice work it looks awesome! How do you like the throttle with no recoil? I don't think I've ever driven anything to where the throttle stays put, on purpose.
                            I really like it. It kinda reminds me of driving a tractor.

Took her out again this evening for a 2nd little test run and she did great, should be ready to get back on some trout waters this weekend.

Comment

Doggo approves

Comment

Working...
                              X