JerryG's (Jet) tiller to console conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JerryG's (Jet) tiller to console conversion

The plan is to convert my tiller jon to a front console by September.

Since I already have the front deck, I'll be using a center console built by FishOnFabrications (thanks Skibum and Ferrulwax for the recommendation). The console will house a teleflex rotary helm and wheel, and a single lever dual action shift setup...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tonight I was able to make some cable connections to the shifter.

The shifter takes universal cable ends (33c for those playing at home). My jet uses the 33c end for the shift bucket, and a merc gen I style end on the throttle, so I've ordered the appropriate cables.

Went with 18ft just for plenty of length in case this setup ever makes it to a longer boat.

Hope to get the steering cable installed and check everything for proper throw before the console is built. Should be able to mount it all in the console fairly easily once built, or that is the plan anyway!

Comment

Great looking boat, looking forward to the build!
      Jackson Dockery
      sigpic
      My Instagram
      Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

Looks like you've planned it out pretty well. Gonna be an interesting build. Watching this!
        BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
        Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Nice! Any reasoning for rotary over rack and pinion? Interested in this process for a boat way down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
          -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Very interested in watching this build. What made you decide to change from the tiller? Been kicking around idea of a small boat and thought a tiller steer would optimize deck space on a small platform.
            These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it.
            -- Dick Blalock

Comment

Originally posted by Mog View Post
              Very interested in watching this build. What made you decide to change from the tiller? Been kicking around idea of a small boat and thought a tiller steer would optimize deck space on a small platform.

Its a give take for sure. Put it this way, Ive had tiller steer boats for 3 years and after riding in Browniez front console boat once I started researching the conversion. Greater visibility and a more functional layout.

TB69- The teleflex rack and pinion kit is 4 turn lock to lock, the rotary kit is 3. It also takes up less space in the console which I wanted to keep compact. Console footprint will be 16"x11" and 24" off the casting deck.
              Last edited by JerryG; 08-02-18, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Very interested in what you are doing here. Thanks for posting it. The reason I’m interested is to see if what you are doing could be done on a Hog Island Skiff. The only ones I’ve seen are tiller.

Comment

This thing looks too good to cut into. Turned out even better than I hoped, and lots of other cool stuff in his shop. I'm going to have some drop in storage compartments built after this console project is all squared away.

Comment

Ready for paint-

Comment

Wow! Looks great!

Comment

Awesome. I love the old school throttle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                        -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Got back in the garage after dinner and tinkered with the steering a bit. This kit goes together suuuuuper easy. Stick the cable in and start turning the wheel counterclockwise and it just feeds in until you hear a click. It even tells you how to orient the wheel to start, so that it sits straight when the steering ram is halfway extended(boat running straight).

Comment

Cover sleeve on the excess steering cable and retaining pins clipped back on.

Comment

Turn wheel right and the ram extends, turn left and it retracts

Comment

Working...
                              X