Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a used Gheenoe 15'4" highsider

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about getting a small boat for some time now and since my 5 yo boy is so into fishing, I decided to pull the trigger and get a used one. He's too small to wade safely in the hooch and we don't like fishing from the bank or my kayak so this was the natural next step. I also have been hoping I can take one of those "grip and Glen" pictures with a 20+ inch brown in the future and this, hopefully, will increase my chances.

After searching the old forum posts and consulting Swamp Angel, I picked up a 15' 4" Gheenoe Highsider with a 9.8 HP outboard. I needed something that will fit in the garage and also wanted to be able to fish standing up. I've taken it out a couple of times for short periods of time this past weekend and have been happy so far. I really have a lot to learn about boating and fishing from a boat. I'm used to fishing wade-able water close to shoals and now it's a whole different ball game.

Some pics from the weekend.

I launched out of Abbot's on Saturday and had some issues trying to figure out the motor. Turns out I forgot to open the vent in the gas tank. After someone on the ramp helped us figure it out, I went back up to cruise a bit with the kids. Didn't get much fishing in but it was nice to be on the water. Too many tubers to dodge though.

On Sunday, I went to JB real quick since I live 2 miles away and also because I didn't have much time. I stayed really close to the ramp because I didn't want to scratch the boat and/or ruin the prop. We ran into Philhutch80 and B5fish and chatted with them for a while. Phil had landed a beautiful brown just before we got there and was pretty excited.

We actually got the skunk off the boat by landing a rainbow and that felt pretty good.

Right now, my biggest challenge is to learn how to back up the trailer. People make it look so easy! I seriously was so frustrated having to try like 20 times just to get down ramp in front of at least 20 tubers.

I want to thank SwampAngel for the help with deciding which boat to buy, Browniez for messaging me about some tactics during changing water levels, PhilHutch for being an inspiration with his latest catches/posts, JerryG for his messages on IG with the river intel, and lastly he-who-shall-not-be-named for some insights on fishing from a boat.

Hope to see you on the river!
    Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Very awesome man!

PS: I only have one suggestion; you should be wearing a life vest Dad! Your little ones have one on and so should you at all times. You never know what might happen and you cannot save them if you are struggling to save yourself.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
      Very awesome man!

PS: I only have one suggestion; you should be wearing a life vest Dad! Your little ones have one on and so should you at all times. You never know what might happen and you cannot save them if you are struggling to save yourself.
      You know, I was thinking about that. I will do that going forward. Thanks.

Comment

Very nice. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Can't wait to snap a pic for you doing my patented fish holding pose!

Congrats Chuck!
          @glennmau

Comment

Originally posted by gau16 View Post
            Can't wait to snap a pic for you doing my patented fish holding pose!

Congrats Chuck!
            Yup! Hopefully we can head out sometime soon

Comment

Great looking rig! Perfect for getting you and your family on the river.
              Jimmy Harris
              Unicoi Liars Club
              Unicoi Outfitters Online Store

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
                Great looking rig! Perfect for getting you and your family on the river.
                Thanks Jimmy!

Comment

Alright. . .
                  LSU is playing a day game at Auburn this weekend thus I will not be fishing Saturday. As soon as my Tigers are back to playing at a normal time for LSU (Tigers are nocturnal predators, of course) we shall have to meet up with Da Da's Fishing and Splatek16 for a run on the Chattahoochee between Abbotts and McGinnis Ferry!

Congrats on the new bateau! She looks sweet! Now you need to name her.
                  If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Angel View Post
                    Alright. . .
                    LSU is playing a day game at Auburn this weekend thus I will not be fishing Saturday. As soon as my Tigers are back to playing at a normal time for LSU (Tigers are nocturnal predators, of course) we shall have to meet up with Da Da's Fishing and Splatek16 for a run on the Chattahoochee between Abbotts and McGinnis Ferry!

Congrats on the new bateau! She looks sweet! Now you need to name her.
                    Thanks! I hope we can all get together soon also. Hope this storm won't dump a crazy amount of rain on us which will require another 24/7 release from the dam.

We are working on the name... we want to be original and not too serious.... hopefully we'll get her named soon and I'll announce it here as soon as we decide. =)

Comment

lets do it

Comment

Charles again, wonderful to meet you and have you join the navy! I will definitely be interested to hear what you name her! Plus maybe you can finally get that elusive 20" bow in the boat too!
                        Let me know when you and Swampy and Splatek are gonna go run it. I will gladly join!
                        #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                        -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                        -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                        -PH

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
                          lets do it
                          Steve, did you name your new boat?

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
                            Charles again, wonderful to meet you and have you join the navy! I will definitely be interested to hear what you name her! Plus maybe you can finally get that elusive 20" bow in the boat too!
                            Let me know when you and Swampy and Splatek are gonna go run it. I will gladly join!
                            Yeah for sure~!

Comment

Nice boat! Reminds me of my riverhawk.

Looks like you may be missing a front bow "eye"/ trailer winch strap connecting point. Or it could just be a weird angle on the pics.

I'd also mention a transom saver and prop guard if you dont already have them.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X