First kayak experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First kayak experience

Well I got lucky. The Fannin county sheriffs office was doing trading and had the ambulance available. It was as if they knew I was coming.
    I had a great time. Didnít fall in or embarrass myself. Did learn that rowing upstream might be a young mans game in fast water. I managed almost a mile. Floating downstream is really cool. Iím looking forward to a couple more test runs before bringing the rod.

A word of wisdom, tether or secure everything you don't want to lose. Tips and flips will happen.
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
      A word of wisdom, tether or secure everything you don't want to lose. Tips and flips will happen.
      Not so fast...
      Tethers and leashes can also cause tangles and dangers. When I first started kayaking I was told the same thing. But then with more experience and more stories told you see how things like a paddle leash can actually wrap your legs and tie you up if you were to roll. Same for a rod leash. By all means bungee or strap things down to the front or back of your kayak but I wouldnít advise leashes. Now I fly fish so I keep me deck as clean as I can so that my fly line has nothing to tangle in when I strip it to the deck. Iíve gone as far as removing foot pegs and tie down hooks to keep my deck as tangle free as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by groundpounder View Post
        Not so fast...
        Tethers and leashes can also cause tangles and dangers. When I first started kayaking I was told the same thing. But then with more experience and more stories told you see how things like a paddle leash can actually wrap your legs and tie you up if you were to roll. Same for a rod leash. By all means bungee or strap things down to the front or back of your kayak but I wouldnít advise leashes. Now I fly fish so I keep me deck as clean as I can so that my fly line has nothing to tangle in when I strip it to the deck. Iíve gone as far as removing foot pegs and tie down hooks to keep my deck as tangle free as possible.
        I thought about that after I posted, but I had included "secure" so I didn't go back and change it. Thanks for the heads up Todd. I do have my paddle tethered, but everything else is strapped down or stored, unless I'm using it at the time.
        BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
        Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Working...
        X