Rainshadow Blanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainshadow Blanks

Has any built a rod(s) on this blank. I Would any and all appreciate fedback.

Thanks in advance
    Ivan
    Ivan

Fly Box Outfitters
    Fly Fishing School

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    "Winston Churchill"

Ivan - GonetoSeed must be fishing....
    See his comments here 'til he get sback. http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ubbn...ML/004861.html
    Don

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Ivan - I've built 8' 6" 4wt, 9' 4 wt, 9' 6wt, all 2 pc. I think they are excellent blanks - straight, quality finish. I've built on the RX7 series. In my experience the RX7 builds into a mod\fast rod in both action and speed. I do use Batson's (manufacturer of Rainshadow) Forecast single foot ceramics for the running guides.

Here are two examples. The first is the 8'6" 4wt in the green color. The wraps are Gudebrod Classic Twist Black\Orange. The second is a 9' 4wt in the matte clear finish(wrapped in my favorite school colors )

Comment

Don - not fishing, at work . Did try the 6 wt Rainshadow out on small Tarpon in Belize last week. Boy was it fun

Comment

Absolutely beautiful wraps, GTS. Have to show those to the CFO and convince her I need the practice.
          Don

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Thanks Seed, good work. Tarpons on a 6wt, Cool!
            I'm trying to find those forecast guides, any suggestions.

[This message has been edited by Ivan (edited 03-13-2003).]
            Ivan

Fly Box Outfitters
            Fly Fishing School

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
            "Winston Churchill"

Comment

Cool looking wraps there GTS! What type and where did you get the thread in that first picture? I like the pattern.
              "Lord, if you can't make me a better boy, don't worry about it. I'm having a real good time like I am."

Comment

Ivan, Here's their site for the blanks and the components. See ya Saturday. http://www.batsonenterprises.com
                Pete

Comment

Don - thanks. I have found that taking a high-resolution, digital photo and putting on a computer screen is a great way to see opportunities for improvement .

Ivan - I get my Rainshadow blanks, Forecast guides and reel seat skeletons from Bob McKay at Custom Tackle Supply in Shelbyville TN. He does not have the Forecast up on his site, but you can call him at 931 684-1755. BTW, below is a picture of the Forecast guides with Blue zironia and Ti ring inserts. These are the first guides on a spinning rod, but I actually use SF fly guides for the rest of the way out, just don't have a picture. I included a picture of the grips\seats to show how the ring color can be matched for a color theme. Forecast also has a Gold ring insert in a Ti colored frame. I have some for a project I'm starting next and think they are great looking.

GregLS - this is Gudebrod Classic Twist. I get it from Custom Tackle. It is Gudebrod's updated nylon version of the varigated silk threads that some of the bamboo masters used. Comes in a number of combinations -black\gold, Black\green, black\silver, etc

[This message has been edited by GonetoSeed (edited 03-13-2003).]

Comment

Seed: I did check Bob's site Monday and did not see the Forecast components there so I gave up on him. I'll give him a call.
                    Pete: I think my H&H blank is actually a Rainshadow blank. I matched their specs and they are identical for every rod including the two color choices. So I quess where both building on Rainshadow blanks. I let you cast mine if you let me cast yours
                    Ivan

Fly Box Outfitters
                    Fly Fishing School

"Winston Churchill"

Comment

Seed: First you really do good work. I like what you've done with these rods and that fiberglass project you did. You're an inspiration to the rest of us builders!
                      Seed have you looked at the Forecast Blanks if so your thoughts.
                      Ivan

Fly Box Outfitters
                      Fly Fishing School

"Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. If you haven't already, check out the photo page on rodbuilding.org. The work that some of these guys are doing is stunning. When I look, I can't decide if I am inspired or discouraged

I think Forecast blanks are good blanks, excellent for the money. Particularly in the shorter, lighter line wts where weight savings is not as big a factor and a slower action is desirable for those that like mod\slow.

I think that one good use is for someone new to build a very servicable rod without risking a lot of money. Because they build into solid performing rods, when the builder's skills advance, they can build other rods for the arsenal and not necessarily have to replace the Forecast. Also, their ultra and light spinning rods make great kids rods and lake house loaners.

Comment

Working...
                        X