Most "Smoky mountains-like" camping within 2Hrs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most "Smoky mountains-like" camping within 2Hrs

Back again to ask for camping recommendations as so many of us do. I've gone through many of the past threads but figured I'd ask from a different perspective...my friends found a campsite in the smokies for two nights for the weekend after next, but I can't do one of those nights. And 4+hours is too far to drive for one night.

I'll be coming from midtown in Atlanta on a Friday afternoon, so it would have likely been further than that.

Given where I'll be leaving from, what would you seasoned campers recommend as the most Smoky Mountains-like camping experience within 2 hours?

I understand this is asking alot...the Smokies are something else. There's just something about those higher elevations, colder streams, and abundant hardwoods... I've camped on Fontana lake and streamside at Hazel creek in the fall.... And I understand there's no chance for elk sightings in Georgia. Nonetheless, what are your recommendations?

Other notes: We won't have any kids or dogs with us.
    Facilities/showers aren't important (may only do one night/ don't mind roughing it a bit)
    Will be tent camping

_yero on instagram

There’s simply not the elevation within two hours of Atlanta. Closest thing would be Standing Indian but that’s a solid 2.5hrs from Atlanta.
    #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
    -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
    -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
    -PH

Comment

It won't compare to the Smokies, but several of the NGA WMA's have nice primitive camping areas. Blue Ridge, Chattahoochee, and Swallow Creek WMA's all have some nice places to camp and should be within a two hour drive.

Comment

Some good options here:

http://expeditiongeorgia.com/10-off-...ing-locations/

Do some homework if you chose these, I have been to 7 of them (over the last 10-15 years) and conditions can change.
        Last edited by creeker; 10-08-19, 06:38 AM.

Comment

way back up the FS road in Fires Creek 5-6 miles past the picnic area has good primitive camping spots and easy access if you are car camping. Gatorbyte and I were there last weekend for a bit. Water is low, like it is everywhere, but there are still fish in the usual spots.
          There are no shortcuts to any place worth going--Beverly Sills

Comment

Working...
          X