Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep Watkins advice to heart. As a student of entomology both professionally and recreationally, I can tell you to study the size, shape and color of successful fly patterns as well. There is a reason trout all over the planet eat Adams, Elk hairs and woolly buggers. They look like food.
    Saltwater flyfidhing taught me how much I could "lean" on monofilament leaders before they would break.
    Freshwater bass fishing taught me that changing a lure from light to dark (or vice versa) can make the day.
    You'll have to ask me some day how a tree guy (me) figured out which trees to fish under, what time of year and what fly.
    "Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl."
    ~by Ernest Hemingway~

Comment

Bugs Beginners

"Bugs for Beginners" with Jay Buchner, is a pretty good introduction to entomology for fly fishers. I bought mine, but you can get it on Netflix.
      Johnny7

Comment

This is great conversation. I have spent many an hour on wikipedia looking at bugs and always walked away with a very small amount of new knowledge and a big headache. A quick reference card would be outstanding but do we really need to know what bug we are looking at just to pick a fly that looks like it? It is of course by no means useless information, if you know what you have you can look up seasonal information and all that to help you out. I look forward to more lessons on this subject.

Thanks Shine,

Comment

My quest this summer is to begin to understand the bug cycle. I am one of those fishermen who just guess and cast. I know alot of us out there.

Comment

out of curiousity....

What did you major in at UGA?? Was wondering if you were either an ecology major or fisheries major. I was a fisheries major at the Warnell school which is why I asked...

Tight lines,

Joshua

Comment

Thanks for the info UGAflyfisher!!!
              I want to second the www.troutnut.com site. Its awesome with great pictures and great "lookup" features so you don't have to know Latin. In many cases it has pictures of nymphs and adults sometimes along sized hooks so you get a good feel of how big the bug is also.
              "Fly Fishing Is Not A Team Sport"----Tom McGuane

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
              Tom McGuane

Comment

1st time I ever wanted an Apple product. Just so I could read the info with insects and what flies match the insects at different stages.
                "Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly."
                ~John Gierach~

Trophies are relative

Comment

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

Comment

...http://goldrushtu.org/ga-hatch-chart/...

...http://www.georgiaadoptastream.com/M.../Macro_Key.pdf

...perhaps helpful...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

If you go to this website they offer a complete course, happens to be on sale for Memorial Day. Course is web based and you have unlimited access. It is very user friendly and covers all you need to catch and identify what insects are in the river.
                      Created by a trout fisherman, not a bug expert. Easy to read, videos and plenty of pictures. If you are really interested in learning about the insects trout eat this would be a great tool. I have taken this course and personally found if very helpful.

catchthehatch.com

Comment

Working...
                      X