Fly Fishing Kayak advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Suburban Angler View Post
    I have an aforementioned "$300 piece of crap".
    Let me elaborate on what I meant....... When I bought my $300 sit inside kayak, it looked great and all b/c it was new. So within about two hours of paddling my back hurt just a little and my legs were cramped and no real way to stretch them out etc. But the main thing was that my butt starting to REALLY hurt after about two hours, and I literally had to stop near the river bank and get out and stand for 5 minutes or so just to get rid of the pain. I just kinda thought this was normal for a kayak since I didn't know any different. I was OOHHH so wrong. This is not normal at all. With a good kayak and seat, you shouldn't have any issues. I haven't even started talking about the kayak tracking etc. That is why in my opinion, you should get as much kayak as you can afford. If I had only two choices, the $300 kayak I had or no kayak at all, in hindsight, I would have chosen no kayak at all b/c of how god awful uncomfortable it was after two hours of paddling. You can buy a great used kayak on craigslist for maybe $800 or maybe even less. You just have to look every day.

Kurt
    Last edited by countrybuckaroo; 06-10-15, 11:04 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=countrybuckaroo;821366]Let me elaborate on what I meant....... /QUOTE]

Kurt, I hope you didn't take what I said the wrong way. I was actually agreeing with you, most $300 kayaks are pieces of junk. I've been very fortunate that I think mine is the exception to the rule, but I know very little about kayaks to be able to judge that. I agree with you on the seat, my back tends to hurt after a few hours. My kayak only has a depression in the plastic and a 6" back rest, I use a foam pad from Lowe's to sit on. But, I tend to be a customizer, so I look at my kayak as a platform to be improved upon as my budget allows. I do disagree on your point about rather having no kayak at all, I considered lashing logs together before I found mine! Just being able to float on something in the lake is way better than trying to fight the brush to fly cast from the bank!
      Stop by for a visit! www.TheSuburbanAngler.com

Comment

[quote=The Suburban Angler;821378]
        Originally posted by countrybuckaroo View Post
        Let me elaborate on what I meant....... /QUOTE]

Kurt, I hope you didn't take what I said the wrong way. I was actually agreeing with you, most $300 kayaks are pieces of junk. I've been very fortunate that I think mine is the exception to the rule, but I know very little about kayaks to be able to judge that. I agree with you on the seat, my back tends to hurt after a few hours. My kayak only has a depression in the plastic and a 6" back rest, I use a foam pad from Lowe's to sit on. But, I tend to be a customizer, so I look at my kayak as a platform to be improved upon as my budget allows. I do disagree on your point about rather having no kayak at all, I considered lashing logs together before I found mine! Just being able to float on something in the lake is way better than trying to fight the brush to fly cast from the bank!
        I didn't take your post the wrong way. I just wanted to explain what I meant so maybe it would help others decide what to buy. So I bought my first kayak at Dick's sporting goods and really thought, "what's the difference between a $300 piece of plastic and a $900 piece of plastic?" I found out there is a big difference. I can't speak for all cheaper model kayaks, just the one I owned. It was a Future Beach trophy 126. DO NOT BUY THAT KAYAK!! But I would have never realized the difference until I owned a good yak. I bought my tarpon 120 before those Jackson's and such with the nice seats came about lol.

Kurt

Comment

So many good choices. My 2 pesos. Get a yak that is That is seaworthy also. We have some many wonderful backwater opportunities across the Gulf Coast and there are also great for the everglades and the Florida Keys. good luck on your search.

Comment

has anyone checked out Vibe Kayaks here in Marietta?

http://vibekayaks.com/

Comment

Made in Malaysia.
              I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton

Comment

Fly Fishing Kayak advice.

I'm interested in a SUP and have done a good bit of research. They look stable enough to comfortably stand and cast. I have a Native Ultimate and just don't like sitting and casting. Yes....I can stand up in it....but standing and double-hauling without spooking fish are entirely different things.

So.....I'm perusing the SUP options. I'm currently drooling over the Boteboards Ahab. Anyone currently fishing off a SUP?

The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                  I'm interested in a SUP and have done a good bit of research. They look stable enough to comfortably stand and cast. I have a Native Ultimate and just don't like sitting and casting. Yes....I can stand up in it....but standing and double-hauling without spooking fish are entirely different things.

So.....I'm perusing the SUP options. I'm currently drooling over the Boteboards Ahab. Anyone currently fishing off a SUP?

Steve,

The boat in the picture you posted really looks good but I would appreciate clarification. Are you all saying that you actually stand up in a kayak and fly fish on moving water like the hooch and the tuck. If you do my hat is off to all of you. I don't see how it is possible to control a moving boat, keep your balance and concentrate on casting a fly. You must have the balance of a tightrope walker and tremendous multi tasking abilities.

Comment

I fish off a SUP some. Might you keep it light and don't carry much it's fine. But it is easy to lose equipment overboard. Being able to stand and fish in a kayak with higher sides is a lot better IMO.

Comment

Randy...are the SUPs more stable than kayaks as far as standup fishing? I'm guessing I could stop by Outside World and see for myself.

Dan....I'm speaking of still water.... Like salt marshes. You are right....it'd be tough in a flowing river.
                      The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dcounce View Post
                        Are you all saying that you actually stand up in a kayak and fly fish on moving water like the hooch and the tuck. If you do my hat is off to all of you. I don't see how it is possible to control a moving boat, keep your balance and concentrate on casting a fly. You must have the balance of a tightrope walker and tremendous multi tasking abilities.
                        I do. It might have been a little iffy feeling when I first got my kayak but with time the more and more comfortable you get. Haven't fallen out yet. To each their own! If your not comfortable with it then I definitely would not do it. A drag chain can help with keeping the kayak positioned pointed downstream and at a slower pace. Rougher or faster water I'm sitting down. Its just what I've gotten comfortable with. Drag chains can be a whole other topic with kayak safety! Some love them, some hate them. Know you and your boats capabilities.

Comment

I'm no expert, but I kayak fish very frequently. As you know, no single boat will be ideal for all situations. You can take the path of getting a whole stable of boats, or do like me and get a general purpose yak and use it to the limits of its ability. I can't stand in my kayak, and sometimes I wish I could. But ability to stand is not my first priority for a kayak. Standing and fishing efficiently and covering water will require some practice--going from paddling to casting and back while managing line and fighting fish requires some athleticisim. The whole topic is highly subjective, but I personally think standing and kayak fishing is overrated. I would rank it under general tracking, weight, etc. if I were buying a kayak. Just food for thought.

G

Comment

My balance sucks....but with a couple of shots of Maker's....it greatly improves. I tried to stand up and get a picture of this six-foot shark circling EG's kayak and almost fell on the dam thing.

The Drifter

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

I designed the Predator to be able to stand in. Yes it is more stable than any SUP I have been on. Come chase some shoal bass with me and try it out.

Comment

Look at the kayaks being designed today. Standing is not over rated. Especially when it comes to fly fishing. Just like standing on a raised
                                Platform on a skiff, you can see into the water much better. It's not the end if you can't stand but it is certainly a big advantage.

Comment

Working...
                                X