Fly Fishing Kayak advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing Kayak advice.

I am looking to get a kayak to pond hop and fish the hooch maybe, I'm looking at a nucanoe frontier 10 stand up angler and hobie mirage pro angler but they are ridiculously expensive for what it seems like you are getting. What are people using and what do you like, it would be nice to have the stability to stand and fish from said kayak. Any advice or input is appreciated.
    David

Jackson Superfishal. Crazy Stable.
    Jackson Dockery
    sigpic
    My Instagram
    Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

I have a jackson big tuna which is a very stable boat but honestly I never stand up and fish in it...you can stand up and fish but I've found just setting my seat as high as it will go is much more comfortable and stable

Just remember I don't care how stable a kayak is advertised it's still a kayak

The above poster may be on to something with that superfishal, it might be the ticket for fly fishing

Comment

Originally posted by wspanic View Post
        I have a jackson big tuna which is a very stable boat but honestly I never stand up and fish in it...you can stand up and fish but I've found just setting my seat as high as it will go is much more comfortable and stable

Just remember I don't care how stable a kayak is advertised it's still a kayak

The above poster may be on to something with that superfishal, it might be the ticket for fly fishing
        It is. However, for anything but fly fishing it is far from optimal. My dad has a feel free 11.5, as I stated earlier, I have a superfishal. My boat has almost no snags, whereas in the feelfree flyfishing is a test of sanity. Incredible stability and a simple layout, prefect for fly fishing. However for gear fishing there is a lack of storage and rod holders.
        Jackson Dockery
        sigpic
        My Instagram
        Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

I love my Jackson Coosa. I have removed the foot pegs and the majority of the rod keeper and paddle keeper bungees and hooks. I found I never used them and it cleaned the platform of the kayak off. This made stripping my line at my feet much more tangle free for the line to not get snagged on anything. I leave my seat in the high position for better visibility but I still stand the majority of my time.

Comment

Originally posted by wspanic View Post
            .....Just remember I don't care how stable a kayak is advertised it's still a kayak....

Truer words have never been spoken.
            The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Wilderness Ride 115 sit on top Kayak
              "If you aren`t fishing out West.... well you`re just plain fishing"

Comment

I would get a sit on top yak no less than 12ft or so........ and get a good one. If you get a $300 piece of crap, you will be sorry. I was and went out and bought a tarpon 120.

Kurt

Comment

I have the Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler fishing yak, and think I have stood up fishing on it one time the entire time I have owned it. Yeah, it can safely be done but I too fish just fine sitting down on the thing.

PS: concur with the statement above about avoiding buying a cheapo. Save up some money and buy the best you can afford.
                  Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                  Simple Goat Herder
                  Former NGTO President
                  Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Superfishal is slow on the river and tends to stay soggy on deck. I love my Tuna. Cruise 12 is a nice clean platform with just enough keel to track straight. On the lake my favorite was a Cuda 14. My wife has a Lure 11.5 that works well for her

Comment

Don't over look the old town 119 canoe. You can buy them used for around 400 and sell them for that if it doesn't work out. They weigh half as much as most SOTs and have almost nothing to snag a fly line on. I stand in mine on ponds. As has been mentioned no craft in this category is "super stable"
                      "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                      -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

I have an aforementioned "$300 piece of crap". It was the best I could afford and I didn't know if I would even like it. I grew up in canoes and john boats, so I thought all kayaks were very unstable (my uncle was a white water kayaker when I was a kid, so that was my impression of kayaks). I've got a 12' Equinox, made in Canada (eh?), SOT and I absolutely love it. You've seen me David, I'm a big guy (6'1", pushing 300lbs), so I have no interest in standing on my kayak. I do, however, very often sit sideways so I can put my feet in the water while I'm fishing, and I've never felt like it was going to tip. The only thing I don't like about my 'yak is the molded foot pegs, they don't seem to be in quite the right place for me, and they're not quite big enough. But, with this boat I'm learning paddling techniques, I'm learning what it takes to fish from a kayak, and I'm especially learning what I want to look for in my next one! It'll be a long time before I can get a $1500+ kayak, so until then, I'm very happy with my $300 piece of crap. I don't know when you're planning to buy, but you're more than welcome to meet me at the lake and try standing up on my kayak.
                        Stop by for a visit! www.TheSuburbanAngler.com

Comment

I designed the Predator MX specifically for fly fishing on the rivers and small ponds and lakes. Come fish with me if you want to try it out.
                          I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton

Comment

Check out the liquid logic/ native versaboard. You can use it as a SUP or a SOT and if you have a yeti or other similar sturdy cooler you can use that as a polling platform/ seat. Ive taken mine down the hooch, poled around the flats of mosquito lagoon and the local carp flats, and can slap a fishfinder on it for bass fishing. It also has a wheel attatched which can be a lifesaver going up and down the hill at morgan falls overlook park. They've got an angler set up that comes with two scotty flush mouts and a gear track and a standard plain one.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...gler-12-3.html
                            "The quintessence of learning is doing"-Mel Krieger

Comment

I have a Versa Board angler for sale.
                              I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton

Comment

Working...
                              X