No announcement yet.

Redeye Bass & Redbreast sunfish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't catch fish............we are going to have a meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Remoh View Post
      If you don't catch fish............we are going to have a meeting.
      The pressure is on. I checked the weather and it's support to storm there today and a bit tomorrow. I was planning on wet wading the creek, so I'm a bit concerned the water level will be high. (Getting my excuses ready)
      Instagram: jkflyfish

Comment

...JK...if you can find the creek/river OR one nearby on this site, it may help...

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ga/nwis/rt

IMHO, water recedes as quickly or faster than it rises, unless there's a FLOOD...

be careful!!

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by JKFlyfish View Post
          The pressure is on. I checked the weather and it's support to storm there today and a bit tomorrow. I was planning on wet wading the creek, so I'm a bit concerned the water level will be high. (Getting my excuses ready)
          Just remember fish have to eat to stay alive. The bigger they are the more they have to eat..good luck

Comment

UPDATE

Well Remoh it looks like I didn't get skunked after all! Here are the pictures, I caught several different types of fish!

Here's the first type of fish I caught, my first Pumpkinseed!

Here's a beautiful Redbreast Sunfish.

I'm not sure, but I think this is a shoal bass my friend caught on a black WB.

Jimmy AKA Counslrman nailed this fly recommendation. I caught this spotted bass on a rock worm. Thanks Jimmy!!

Here's another look at the spotted bass, which turned out to be my catch of the day.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!! My friend who was new to fly fishing had a great time catching fish on the fly. He is now looking at buying a rod. Ha! Looks like he's "hooked."

Comment

Nice ones, JKF. Gotta love bass on the fly.

Comment

Rather than a shoal bass, that first one sure looks like a redeye. Take any on top water? Jim

Comment

Originally posted by nielson View Post
                  Rather than a shoal bass, that first one sure looks like a redeye. Take any on top water? Jim
                  No top water takes, we had to switch to subsurface to start getting bites. The only reason I suspected it could be a shoal bass was that it definitely did not have a red eye. I also looked at some pictures and tried to match it up. I am definitely not an expert, so I am not sure though.

Comment

Great pics. Yea I believe that is a redeye. There are a few species of black bass that have red eyes so only looking at the eye color cannot be used to differentiate.

Comment

Originally posted by JKFlyfish View Post

I'm not sure, but I think this is a shoal bass my friend caught on a black WB.

That's definitely a redeye bass and it's a nice one! BTW true redeye bass (Micropterus coosae) are native only to the Coosa River system (Mobile Bay drainage) while shoal bass are native to the ACF drainage. The two species do not occur together naturally.

Comment

ShoalBandit, great post!! I am definitely saving this information so I can better ID bass in the future. I've never caught a shoal bass or redeye bass before so I had no idea! Thanks so much for clearing that up. You learn something new every day!

Comment

That "blue eyebrow" is the simplest form of redeye identity.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Working...
                          X