Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redeye Bass & Redbreast sunfish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Redeye Bass & Redbreast sunfish

    Howdy Experts!

    I am going camping this weekend with some college buddies. I am bringing the fly rod(s) since the cabin we are renting will be on a creek. Allegedly the creek has no trout, but it has redbreast sunfish, redeye bass, an occasional largemouth or spotted bass, crappie, and channel cats. I figure it's mostly redeye bass and redbreast sunfish and the rest is a toss up.

    As far as flies are concerned, I am bringing various bream poppers, clouser minnows, woolly buggers and rubber legged nymphs. I mostly plan on stripping small streamers since this is what I have had the most success doing when catching bass and various sunfish.

    Any other fly recommendations? Technique suggestions? Tips? I don't have a lot of experience catching redeye bass and redbreast sunfish. I have caught plenty of bluegill, largemouth and smallmouth though.
    Instagram: jkflyfish

  • #2
    Stealth bombers. Any color as long as it is black right now with cicadas
    I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton

    Comment


    • #3
      ...black and red ants and some of these...



      redeyes and bream LOVE rock worms...!!

      Blessings!

      Jimmy
      Last edited by Counslrman; 08-29-15, 05:54 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the replies and tips!

        Originally posted by Riverpirate View Post
        Stealth bombers. Any color as long as it is black right now with cicadas
        Riverpirate, do you find that Stealth bombers work throughout the day or only early in the morning and just before sunset (like with bass poppers)?
        Instagram: jkflyfish

        Comment


        • #5
          In my experience- expecially for bream, Yellow is a magic color. I have been throwing a yellow boogle bug for most of the summer and it has been slaying redbreasts in local ponds, and picks up quite a few bass too.
          Try throwing a popper dropper- a little more trouble, but realy works great. I use a slightly larger popper with a wooly Bugger.
          Jackson Dockery
          sigpic
          My Instagram
          Unicoi Outfitters

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ferrulewax View Post
            In my experience- expecially for bream, Yellow is a magic color. I have been throwing a yellow boogle bug for most of the summer and it has been slaying redbreasts in local ponds, and picks up quite a few bass too.
            Try throwing a popper dropper- a little more trouble, but realy works great. I use a slightly larger popper with a wooly Bugger.
            Thanks for the tips ferrulewax! I haven't had much luck on popping bugs with bass (time of day issue I think). I typically have more luck stripping little nymphs or small streamers.

            When you do a popper dropper, do you cast it out and let it sit until all the ripples are gone like you would a typical bass popper or do you pop or strip the rig in to entice bites?
            Instagram: jkflyfish

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
              ...black and red ants and some of these...

              [ATTACH]14683[/ATTACH]

              redeyes and bream LOVE rock worms...!!

              Blessings!

              Jimmy
              Thanks Jimmy! How do you fish those rock worms? Dead drift?
              Instagram: jkflyfish

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JKFlyfish View Post
                When you do a popper dropper, do you cast it out and let it sit until all the ripples are gone like you would a typical bass popper or do you pop or strip the rig in to entice bites?
                Let the fish tell you what they want.

                And don't ignore San Juan worms as droppers. Trust me on that.

                Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JKFlyfish View Post
                  Thanks Jimmy! How do you fish those rock worms? Dead drift?

                  ...yes...drifted under or near rocks with current...

                  Blessings!

                  Jimmy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My most productive bream fly is a Black Cricket pattern. For Bass, spitting rubber legs in green. I've been jumping bream at the local creek. I press the barb down catch 'em and play them and then give them some slack and they shake off.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Windknot View Post
                      Let the fish tell you what they want.

                      And don't ignore San Juan worms as droppers. Trust me on that.
                      Thank you. Great advice.
                      Instagram: jkflyfish

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Remoh View Post
                        My most productive bream fly is a Black Cricket pattern. For Bass, spitting rubber legs in green. I've been jumping bream at the local creek. I press the barb down catch 'em and play them and then give them some slack and they shake off.
                        I'm not familiar with the spitting rubber legs pattern. Is that similar to the pat's rubber legs pattern?
                        Instagram: jkflyfish

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JKFlyfish View Post
                          I'm not familiar with the spitting rubber legs pattern. Is that similar to the pat's rubber legs pattern?
                          Little bigger than a poppin bug. It is concaved on the front. When you strip/jerk the fly it looks like it is spiting, Drives the bass crazy. I think any rubber band leg fly will work well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Please, forgive me. But, counslrman I take it that's a rock worm in the photo above you posted (never seen a fly of that sort)? It's interesting looking... Did you tie that one or purchase it? If purchased, who sales them? I would like to have a couple to add to my collection.
                            Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ~Mark Twain

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              ...that's a wet one...I picked it up from a pal...here's a link...

                              http://www.maineflyfish.com/fly/viewfly.php?flyid=56

                              I've seen them at fly shops, or you can get a tutorial off Google...

                              ...we used to flip rocks over in Mulberry Creek near here and catch the bugs live...careful!! ... they pinch hard...they are also called Dobson flies...

                              Blessings!

                              Jimmy

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X