Letís talk flyline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferrulewax View Post
    Really? I'm not questioning your input Henry, believe me, you know a whole lot more about the striper game than I do. But I have been consistently out fished for the past couple weeks by people using floating lines, when I'm throwing an intermediate.

Perhaps the choice of intermediate line is at play here, but I think my intermediate gets the fly too low in the column too quickly. Maybe other intermediates would not behave this way. I'm throwing a cortland compact blitz clear tip.

Are you throwing the intermediate even as fish move shallow through winter?

I'm keen for any information you've got, haha.

Jackson,

You are getting out fished simply because your counterparts are better at feeding the fish. It's the sad reality of striper fishing. Your partner up at Unicoi I guarantee would be fishing an intermediate as well. There are lots of questions that need answering as there is not just one simple answer as to why you are not feeding fish as well as your counterparts. Are you fishing an intermediate with a fluoro leader? If so, why not fish it with mono if you think the fish are feeding higher in the water column. Are you tossing a fly that just doesn't catch many fish (like an Efly)? - back atcha FM
    A weightless fly like a polar fiber minnow might do the trick instead of a Clouser or somethin' else. As for someone asking about line pick up on a shallow flat... I like the outbound short in an F/I combo. That has been my go to line. That is what is fun about sodium free stripers...they ain't easy. In conclusion, might I suggest sticking with a floating line for pellet fed trout

Henry
    Last edited by henryc; 12-05-17, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by henryc View Post
      Jackson,

You are getting out fished simply because your counterparts are better at feeding the fish. It's the sad reality of striper fishing. Your partner up at Unicoi I guarantee would be fishing an intermediate as well. There are lots of questions that need answering as there is not just one simple answer as to why you are not feeding fish as well as your counterparts. Are you fishing an intermediate with a fluoro leader? If so, why not fish it with mono if you think the fish are feeding higher in the water column. Are you tossing a fly that just doesn't catch many fish (like an Efly)? - back atcha FM
      A weightless fly like a polar fiber minnow might do the trick instead of a Clouser or somethin' else. As for someone asking about line pick up on a shallow flat... I like the outbound short in an F/I combo. That has been my go to line. That is what is fun about sodium free stripers...they ain't easy. In conclusion, might I suggest sticking with a floating line for pellet fed trout

Henry
      Haha! Henry, I'm not so convinced that my co-fisherman is any better than me at feeding striper. It's my old man!

I'm throwing a gray and white polar fiber fly tied weightless on a size 6 Partridge attitude extra. (With a flurofiber collar ) -just like the one my partner stole from my box. I am also throwing it on an SA hard mono leader with flurocarbon tippet. I've broke down my system pretty well.

In an effort to save what little self respect I still have for my striper skills, I am going to blame it on my intermediate line sinking too quickly. I think I'll grab an SA clear tip, and see how it compares, then go from there.

Thanks for the help
      Jackson Dockery
      sigpic
      My Instagram
      Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

Sinking Floaters

All floating lines eventually start sinking at the tip due to breaks in the line. If you knot your leader to the fly line and you do not trim and coat the end of the fly line each time it will absorb water. Further, if you look at the end of your line, or better feel the last couple feet of your line, for tiny cracks and abrasions, it will absorb water over time. I use welded loop fly lines and those too will sink over time due to just the abrasions, but much more slowly. Finally, cut two feet off your fly line and try that!

Comment

Working...
        X